Ashley's Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

Thank You to Entangled Teen and NetGalley for letting me read and review an early copy of Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel. My thoughts and opinions are 100% honest and 100% my own.
I'm also excited to be a part of the Black Bird of the Gallows Blog Tour! This tour is hosted by Chapter by Chapter and Entangled Teen. I'm happy to be a part of it.
Black Bird of the Gallows is an interesting mix of things. First and foremost, it's a paranormal romance, which I always love. There are also sprinklings of disaster fiction, danger, mystery, and a bit of horror. It's an interesting mix for a book, a mix I rather enjoyed reading. The book introduces the different parts in different spots. It unveils itself as it goes along. It definitely kept me reading.
This story brought to mind some other stories I have read and enjoyed. The beginning and middle really reminded me a lot of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, in a good way! I know that comparison might not be a good omen for some people, but reading Black Bird of the Gallows gave me that feeling of when I first read Twilight, how sucked in I got to the story, and how much fun I had reading it. Black Bird of the Gallows also had a more sinister vibe, and it reminded me of a more sinister book I had read a couple of years ago. That book is The Waking Dark by Robin Wasserman, which is a crazy, scary, and good book! More people should read that one.
Black Bird of the Gallows had a lot packed into it. It almost felt like it could have been put into two book, instead of just the one. There was a lot to take in, and everything went pretty fast. I would have liked the last half of the book to have been slowed down a little, but that's just because I really like reading disaster fiction.
I really liked the premise of this book. I'll admit, when I started it, I had no idea what a Harbinger of Death was. It was a very interesting life to imagine. I would have loved for Angie to have been looking at old disaster articles and pictures, and then spotting Reece in them, that would have been cool.
I also enjoyed Angie as a character. I liked how she did her own thing, and her being a DJ was an interesting hobby to have. I also really liked the relationship she had with her dad.
I don't know if I would say I swooned over the romance. I liked it well enough, but it did kind of speed along. I did enjoy the build up to it, Angie spying, but not spying on this cute, mysterious boy across the street.
I wasn't mad at the ending of the book, in fact, I think it did a good job wrapping up. As I was getting near the end, I really did wonder what was going to happen. There were directions this could have gone that I wouldn't have been happy with. So while I do think this book could have benefitted, or had the potential to be a series, I appreciate how everything wrapped up.
All in all, I enjoyed this read. Black Bird of the Gallows was fun! It had the most interesting mix of paranormal romance, mystery, horror, and disaster. It was a story that sucked me in and I enjoyed. I'd definitely say give it a read.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.8/5
A Cool Mix.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

December 23, 2016 – Shelved

August 31, 2017 –
page 63
September 2, 2017 –
page 130
42.07% "This is giving me strong vibes to another book. A series that some people may appreciate, and some people might take as a sign to stay far away from.

Yes Twilight! It reminds me a lot of Twilight, but in a good way, because I liked Twilight."
September 4, 2017 –