Steve Rider's Reviews > The Fighter's Mind: Inside the Mental Game

The Fighter's Mind by Sam Sheridan

62519457

bookshelves: parenting

"The world is made of fire" is the translation of the tattoo on Sam Sheridan, author of The Fighter's Mind: Inside the Mental GameSuch an outlook sets the stage for a book I downloaded for two reasons, because it was offered cheap from Audible, and it sounded interesting. I am pleased to say that the this book did not disappoint and I'd encourage anyone who considers themselves a competitor, or a parent of a competitor to consider reading.

While the book revolves around fighting, it does a great job tapping into the primal roots of a warrior searching for their deepest purpose in life. I've never been a fighter, but I'd like to consider myself an experienced competitor, ranging from a college scholarship to still competing in various stuff in my late 30's.

Each chapter seeks out different wisdom from different competitors, not all fighters. There's lots of good insight, but one that stood out for me was how many of the top fighters were incredibly modest and personable people. Intuitively, Sheridan posed the question of, "are good fighters modest, or do fighters that get so good become modest through the humbling process of getting beaten up so much?" I imagine there's some cultural and sports differences to consider, but it's a really interesting question.

MebKeflezighi is the most successful American distance athlete since the 90's. I'm fortunate to have done some training with him and he's one of the most authentic and genuinely nice people I've ever met. Even people that have met him only once are amazed at how humble he is.

To my knowledge, I've only talked to two highly competitive fighters. One was Chuck Liddell. He wasn't too pleasant with me, although I think I may have caught him on a bad day.

The other was Paul Vaden, a former boxer, with a professional record of 29-3. Vaden was incredibly modest and personable. Ironically one of the few times I came close to fighting in my adult life, Vaden essentially intervened between myself and another guy (basketball game). I didn't know Vaden was a boxer, but he had a palpable certainty to him that seemed to defuse the situation. Talking with him later, I was amazed to discover he was a kickass fighter in his day.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this book. I found this interview on Sheridan which I also enjoyed, so I may read a couple of his other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fighter's Mind.

Started Reading