Aaron's Reviews > The Naked Anabaptist: The Bare Essentials of a Radical Faith

The Naked Anabaptist by Stuart Murray

liked it
bookshelves: to-read

I was excited about this book initially because I thought it would be a brief but entirely thorough history of the foundation of early Anabaptist tenets. And to some extent I was satisfied, though this book really read more like an introduction for someone with very little experience with Anabaptists, Mennonites or the like. There was one phrase that went something like "And that's another thing Anabaptists do" which was repeated over and over - almost like the current "And I'm a Mormon" campaign bopping around Facebook.

Murray also seems to be writing from the perspective of someone who was not raised in a denomination of Anabaptism as well as from the more obvious perspective of an Englishman. Neither of these things were evident to me going in. He does seem to grasp the general basics of the faith, but the contemporary examples of Mennonites were very UK-centric.

Don't get me wrong, for the right reader this would be a great introduction to different bits about the peace church tradition. If nothing else, it got me more interested to read work from American Mennonite writers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naked Anabaptist.

July 13, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 14, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Harold Vance III Have you found any American based works on the same or a similar theme that you would recommend?