Erika's Reviews > Incarnate

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Jul 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, young-adult
Read in December, 2011

Fun, fun, fun...and more fun! There was action, conspiratorial plotting, love interests, mysterious temples, dragons, and more.

As action goes, this one was really full of it. When the book opened I felt like I was not thrown, but tossed, unabashadly and carefree into the story. This was really confusing to me in spots. It took a few pages to understand what was going on. Especially those scenes where the fantasy world really shines and the characters are talking about it. But it was always so fun that I wanted to keep reading and it was so worth it because in the end, I always did get it!

Anna and Sam made a great duo. Sam was so curious about Anna I was never really sure if he liked her for her. But he always helped Anna through her issues and by end of the book Anna had grown so much that I ended up being really proud of her. His backstory was fabulous as well. The music was beautiful and the descriptions of it were so well written I could truly feel myself next to Anna listening to it with solemnity and joy. I feel like Anna was a very strong character, even though I know a lot of people will read this book and think she is weak. I didn't think that at all, but recognized how she had been ostracized her whole life and was just now learning it's okay to be who she is. Anna had to have a lot of will-power to get through all that and walk around the city of Heart with so many people hating her.

Despite the fun and all the action, this one still turned out to be quite a thinker. I loved thinking through these "what ifs" and all the issues brought forth about reincarnation. Jodi Meadows does a great job of bringing something new to that discussion, that I personally hadn't heard of before. I especially liked the concept that reincarnated souls would know who they are and would spend thousands of years perfecting their craft in what they had chosen to do. The thousand year old souls were fascinating in so many ways because of the fact that they knew who they were and could continue their life.

I definitely recommend reading Incarnate, especially if you love fantasy with lots of action and something to think about. I will be looking forward to the next book and hope it doesn't take *too* long to get into my hands so I can enjoy more of this world and it's characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnate.