Kemper's Reviews > Star Wars, Vol. 3: Rebel Jail

Star Wars, Vol. 3 by Jason Aaron

liked it
bookshelves: 2016, comics, tv-movies

While I was in the middle of reading this one news broke that Carrie Fisher had suffered a heart attack so that added a certain bittersweet flavor to a story that focuses heavily on Princess Leia. It also provided further evidence for the case against 2016 when we finally haul it into court for its crimes against humanity.

Leia’s part involves her delivering an important Imperial prisoner to a secret Rebel prison and being caught there when a mysterious man attacks the jail. Meanwhile, Han and Luke are off on a supply run which gets complicated, there’s a single issue story about what Obi-Wan was up to on Tatooine while waiting for Luke to grow up, and the first annual has an off-shoot story about a Rebel spy on Coruscant. (If you’re reading these as single issues from the Marvel Unlimited app you should check that one out first.)

Overall, this is still a fun and solid set of Star Wars stories in which Jason Aaron and the other creators continue to fill the gap between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back and do a pretty good job of it. Since we know how things shake out they can't generate much tension regarding the main characters, but there’s a lot of interesting turns here. My favorite part was learning that Han Solo was literally a nerf herder for a brief time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars, Vol. 3.

December 23, 2016 – Started Reading