Shawn Yoder's Reviews > They Say We Are Infidels: On the Run from ISIS with Persecuted Christians in the Middle East

They Say We Are Infidels by Mindy Belz

Jan 26, 2017

bookshelves: 2017-reading-challenge

This is one of those books that is a "hard to read" but a "must read". It's not hard to read because of the style of writing or the language used, but hard to read because of the reality of the stories that are told. Mindy Belz travels with persecuted Christians in the Middle East and tells their stories as they flee from ISIS persecutors. She also tells how the actions by our government in those areas (and to an embarrassing degree our inaction) and how it has affected Christians and other minority and religious groups there.
Many of us have heard bits and pieces of the atrocities in Mosul and Aleppo. Belz introduces us to those who have lived through them. Christian persecution is a very real thing in the world. 2016 was the year that saw the highest rate of Christian persecution in world history. We cannot ignore it. Hebrews tells us that we are to suffer with those who are suffering because we are part of the same body as they are - the body of Christ. Pick up this book and hear the stories of those who are suffering for their faith, but still remaining faithful. I came away with information on how to pray, with a new set of eyes to see those we simply label as "refugees", and encouragement from those who are standing firm in their faith in the midst of strong opposition.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Say We Are Infidels.

December 23, 2016 – Started Reading