mina's Reviews > Promise of Blood

Promise of Blood by Brian  McClellan

Dec 22, 2016

After reading (and infatuated with) Django Wexler's Shadow Campaigns series, I think the series has set a high bar of fun and quality for military fantasy fiction (not that I read military fantasy before and after this series, so my judgment is obviously biased here). But then another Goodreads fellow member seems really like the Powder Mage series, I think this series deserves a try, although I am already turned off by the cover. Boy, I am glad I tried this one. I like this series in a different way I like the Shadow Campaigns series. Powder Mage series is more serious, more brutal, and more of, um, hard military (yeah, my vocabulary is poor).

At the beginning, the book did not interest me, but after past experience with buddy reads with Indonesian SF group, I remember the better/best parts of a book are not always shown in the first pages or chapters.

The characters are very likeable, from Tamas (a broken leader with a conscience, who seems to always choose the right decision), Taniel (although I hate his lingering hate-love to Vlora; forget her already!), Ka-poel (I mean, who doesn't love a badass female character who has incomprehensible magic?), Bo (the bff of Taniel; I can't wait to see how he and Taniel solve the problem of the Privileged's urge to kill Tamas, Taniel's father), and Olem (can I have him as a bodyguard, too?). Oh, and the chef God!

The war is intense and bloody, and the magic does not dominate the fight (unless for more personal smaller fight). I like it that both sides of the war have individuals with all types of magical power, leaving the possibility of winning to strategy (mostly) and luck.

I already started book 2 when I wrote this review. A recommended series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise of Blood.

Started Reading