Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > Love Is Hell

Love Is Hell by Melissa Marr

Jul 13, 2011

bookshelves: stories-anthologies, young-adult, paranormal, read-in-2011, reviewed
Read from October 17 to 18, 2011

To be posted on Almost Grown-up:

How to review such a fun anthology...? Let's see. Ah! I know! Story by story!

Sleeping with the Spirit by Laurie Faria Stolarz: Brenda and her parents have moved into a new home after the death of her sister and now a ghost keeps popping up into her dreams. A very cute ghost. It seems strange to call a ghost story adorable, but that's kind of what I felt this one was.

Stupid Perfect World by Scott Westerfeld: In a futuristic world, Kieran and Maria have an assignment for their Scarcity class. They must adopt a condition that existed in the "old days." Kieran has chosen to start sleeping. Maria has stopped regulating her hormones. This story was probably my favorite in the collection, owing to the craziness that Kieran and Maria start to deal with as they get further and further from their ordinary states and Westerfeld's style.

Thinner Than Water by Justine Larbalestier: Jeannie lives in a tourist trap of a village, where the modern world is ignored in favor of the old world. But Jeannie wants to become a doctor and she feels nothing but trapped here, in a world where she isn't even allowed to go to school anymore. She handfasts with Robbie, a boy that she genuinely likes. A boy that she grows to love. A boy that the rest of the village thinks is fey. This story was sad and creepy at the very same time.

Fan Fictions by Gabrielle Zevin: Paige loves to read and spends a great deal of her time in the school library, where she meets Aaron who seems just too good to be true. Aaron's story, when he finally tells Paige, is unbelievable.

Truth? First of all, as an avid fanfiction reader, I loved the title of this one. Second, this story freaked me out the most because it messed with my head when I realized that Paige was not a reliable narrator. I find nothing creepier than a character(maybe?) losing her sanity.

Love Struck by Melissa Marr: I actually bought this is a single story e-book for my Kindle a few months ago and adored it! Love Struck is centered around the myths of Selchies and to be quite honest I hadn't heard of Selchies before reading this. It's also a story about Alana, who is a bit of a commitment-phobe who gradually finds herself falling for the selchie Murrin and is rather terrified of the feelings. I really liked it and it was by Melissa Marr so I am now going to make the horrible pun that it was WICKEDLY LOVELY. (I am groaning with you at that joke, I assure you.)

Overall rating: 4/5. A very enjoyable set of stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Is Hell.