Kohei's Reviews > A Child Called "It"

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

Mar 23, 2008

bookshelves: school-year-book

A Child Called "It" HCI, 1995 $9.95
By Dave Pelzer ISBN 1558743669
One very common issue that goes around in our world is child abuse, it happens everywhere and it is something that is horrible and cannot be stopped. Dave Pelzer, the author of the autobiographical book, A Child Called It, shows the very dark corners of child abuse by viewing to the readers his horrific life as a young boy living with his mother that constantly abused him.
Dave Pelzer, who lived with his unstable, disturbed, alcoholic mother in a town in California during the early 70's, explains his story about his torturous unforgettable years as a young boy. Throughout the story, he does his best to survive from his mother and tries to stay alive from the pain of hunger, bruises and cuts he receives. The only thing that keeps him alive are his dreams, wanting a happy and safe family, and also being someone.
It’s terrifying to think after reading this that, this really had happened to someone, it isn’t fake. This made me say to myself, “wow, life can be so messed up, but you can survive even the most horrible things, as long as you follow your dream, and keep it with you as close as possible.” I believe this is the message, Dave Pelzer is trying to reach out, not only to the people who get abused consistently, but also to those who suffer a great deal of pain from something terrible everyday. Once you have read the last word of the story, and closed the book, you will definitely know that this book has just changed your life, and your perspective of issues like these around the world, trust me, that is a fact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Called "It".

02/29/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 13: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki I like your conclusion because it attracts the reader by you said it will change their perspective of issues and life. I have read this book before and i like it!2 thumbs up! Also, you chose words that describes the story like dark, pain, unstabled, terrible, and disturbed in your sentences!

message 12: by Ben (new)

Ben I liked how you started off your review with a thematic statement on child abuse. It is a level three idea and explains a lot about the book and the world. Your review's voice is serious as the book is and your review is very persuasive.

message 11: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha i liked how you put your own personal reaction to the book it shows us as a reader your connection between you and the book making it way more comfortable and convincing to read it great job!

message 10: by Marta (new) - added it

Marta I liked the middle paragraph a lot. I liked how you put the appositive in the first sentence of your middle paragraph. I also like how you put a lot of background research. Also i like how you put your reaction and opinion in the review. Good job.

Pawel i like how you added your opinion, that makes the person reading the review believe you and want to read the book.

Joanna hey!I read this book before too and I really liked it. After reading your review, I want to read the book again. I can tell you put a lot of efforts in it. Great job!

Gonzalo i like the closing sentence it tells u how its going to affect ur life in a positive way and what ur going to get out of the book

Tony I agree with you because there are a lot of articles on the newspapers talking about how someone is abused so badly they commit suicide or die. This book sounds really good even though I've never read it, I've read others that are like this. Sad indeed.

Daniel Ramos I agree with how you started and ended. Child abuse cant be stopped and i like how you explained his life and how you didnt leave out what drove him to survive. Great book.

message 4: by Yassine (new) - added it

Yassine your review made me looking forward to read this book :) .

Zahara In my English class a few other students and I created a blog on the next two books in the series. If you`re interested, please check it out! I would appreciate any feedback.

message 2: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly Barton Funny I read this and all his books and it floors me that one particular review angered me. The reviewer plainly said Dave's account was pure rubbish? Then why did his brother come out years later to say his claims are not only true,but after Dave was taken from the home,his brother was the next target? Child abuse has always gotten turned a blind eye,and now I see why.

Ashley My thoughts too Kimberly about the brother coming out with a book too. I was abused as a child too and been support groups for those of child abuse. It's sad that even today people still turn a blind eye or just can't believe those who have the courage to come forward. I've been told I lied and wanted attention and that hurts a lot. But sadly so many in our world today feel it is ok to judge others.