melissa1lbr's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: arcs, collection, favorites, review-copy, young-adult

Things I Liked:
Oh how I loved the writing. Taylor had me wrapped around that story from page one. I fell into it and I couldn't see (nor did I want to) my way out. I read it slowly and in bits so I could savor every phrase. And you can tell that Taylor spends time on every phrase so that they sound just right. I love the spooky, creepy, quirky, but gorgeous style she has for writing fantasy stories with a dark undercurrent. The world she's created is rich and deep and you think you know about it, until you learn more and realize you haven't learned much. The story was not original in itself, but the way she's created the world, the characters (I adore Zuzana and Karou and Issa and so on and so on), and the cultures is so fascinating I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm even more excited to learn there will be more adventures in store for Karou. A detailed and dark story that will lure you in. I adored the details about Prague too - I spent only two days there, but Taylor brought it to life for me again.

Things I Didn't Like:
As I mentioned, the story, if you stop and think about its bare bones, is not that original. The telling and the wrappings and the life Taylor breathes into it brings me hope for more fabulous angel stories. It is also not something I could devour in a few sittings, it requires time and thought to fully appreciate it. Even if I felt it lagged a bit in the middle, I never could put Karou quite out of my mind.
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.

July 13, 2011 – Started Reading