Crystal's Reviews > Bloodhound

Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

Jul 13, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, various-mystery-action-adventure
Read from July 30 to August 03, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I liked this book a lot. I did not love it, like Terrier, but I really liked it. I was so happy to be back in the world of Beka Cooper. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe I just don't like feeling like a book is preaching women's rights/ girl power (you're preaching to the choir.) or gay rights. It was interesting seeing Nestor and Okha/ Amber, in the context of the world Pierce created, how it fit into the greater universe. But it also felt a bit preachy to me, and I really hate when novels try to teach by preaching.
On the other hand, as I got deeper into the actual plot of the book, things got more interesting. I still love the language of this setting. Mots, coves, gixies. Pox! Scummer. Mumper. the words all have a zing to them. a real sense of what they are meant to convey. More than once I've had to catch myself from using them in everyday conversation.
I found Beka's growth interesting. It was weird how Pounce, after being so central in the first book, was present so little in this book. I can only assume she is setting something up for the third and final book. and Beka learning to function more on her own was good for her. Achoo was nice. Just not anywhere similar to Pounce, obviously.
Also interesting was her little fling with Dale. it's obvious, given her age, and the seemingly relatively lax morals of her world, that something like that would happen sooner or later. by becoming involved with someone from another city, she perhaps set herself up for failure on purpose. a chance to enjoy, without fear of that long term commitment. however much of an unpleasant surprise the end may have seemed to her. So I didn't see that relationship as awfully important in her life. What I thought was telling was how she compared EVERYTHING about Dale to Rosto. Even when the comparison was unflattering to Rosto (which it usually was), he was there in her mind. I really hope there's as much of a payoff with Rosto and Beka in the last book as it's been set up to be. I'll be pretty annoyed if it's not.
Now my biggest grievance is that I have to wait for the final book to be published (well, I wish it wasn't the final book, either, obviously.). of all the Tamora Pierce books to start on, I WOULD have to pick the series that's not finished yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodhound.