nick 's Reviews > Pretty Face

Pretty Face by Lucy  Parker

bookshelves: 2017-books-i-love, adult, arc, contemporary, 2017-favorites, march-2018, november-2018
Read 5 times. Last read November 1, 2018 to November 2, 2018.

11/02/18 REREAD: Will I ever not love this book?

03/16/18 REREAD: I just love this book so so much. My heart is always full when I'm done with it. <3

10/21/17 REREAD: Trix and Leo are so cute already.

07/18/17 REREAD: STILL LOVING THESE TWO SO MUCH I WANT TO CRY!

Original Thoughts
Lucy Parker was one of my favorite author finds last year. I devoured and thoroughly enjoyed her book Act Like It after recommendations from a couple of friends. To say that I was excited when I received her newest, Pretty Face, would be an understatement of epic proportions. I quit whatever I was reading at the time, and jumped right into the story. Once again, Lucy Parker has crafted what has got to be one of my favorite books of all time in a smart, delightful and romantic packaging.

There are two main reasons why I find Lucy Parker’s books to be huge successes , the first being her characterizations. She writes characters that are memorable in every way. In Pretty Face, she introduces readers to Luc and Lily, two characters who charmed me and stole my heart. I loved them both so much as individuals and as the story progressed, I grew even fonder of them. We have Lily, a 26 year old soap opera actress who is seen as nothing but a pretty face thanks to her sexy-breathy voice and has a hard time getting people to see her as an actress with potential. I felt for her and her dilemma, and also admired her tenacity to reach her goals. There was something about her voice that I connected with and I think a lot of readers will connect with too. Then we have Luc, a 40 year play director, who was more on the mature, grumpy and gruffy side. As you can imagine, I fell hopelessly in love with Luc, and even though he could be a bit of an ass at times, he was a man who was willing to admit when he was wrong.

The second reason why I love Lucy Parker’s books are her smart romances. The romance in Pretty Face had plenty of tropes that I absolutely adore including, forbidden romance and hate-to-love, and they were executed perfectly. Both Lily and Luc have pre-conceived notions of each other, and they battle it out with words when they first meet. Over the course of Luc’s play, they begin to see each other in different lights. The romance had a slow and sultry quality to it, filled with lots of witty banter, smart dialogue and deliciously subtle swoony scenes. The thing that’s so great about Parker’s mastery in writing these romances is that she doesn’t have to rely on heavily explicit sex scenes to show readers the explosive chemistry between her couples. No, she does that through the small, but charged touches and looks here and there. Lily and Luc’s emotional connection had my heart aching and racing, and yes I realize I sound like I was having heart failure, but that is exactly how I felt. I simply could not get enough of them and what was even better, this was a couple that talked, and avoided major misunderstandings in the process. Family dynamics and the London theatre scene were also at the center of Pretty Face, and they yet more aspects that were written flawlessly. It was interesting to read how all these bonds these characters had infiltrated every essence of their lives.

As you can tell, Pretty Face is going down as one of the best romance books that I have ever read. My romance nerds, if you haven’t read Lucy Parker’s charming books yet, I need you all to read her books. I promise that with this breathtaking book, your reading lives will be changed 100% for the better. While I wait for the author to pen her next book, I will be eagerly re-devouring Pretty Face and Act Like It.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Face.

December 21, 2016 – Shelved
December 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 11, 2017 – Started Reading
January 11, 2017 –
25.0% "I'm so digging these two."
January 11, 2017 –
January 12, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-favorites
July 18, 2017 – Started Reading
July 18, 2017 –
25.0% "I was only supposed to read some of my favorite scenes. Guess I had a hard time choosing, so re-read time it is!"
July 18, 2017 –
51.0% "This book makes me so exceptionally happy! ❤❤"
July 18, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 20, 2017 – Started Reading
October 20, 2017 –
75.0% "Every time I read this book, I can feel my soul warming. I will never tire of these two. <3"
October 21, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 15, 2018 – Started Reading
March 16, 2018 – Shelved as: march-2018
March 16, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 1, 2018 – Started Reading
November 2, 2018 – Shelved as: november-2018
November 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Samantha (WLABB) I need to get on this. I really liked the first one, and now this review is making me want to read it more.

nick It was even better than the first for me, so I definitely recommend giving this a go! :)