Liviu's Reviews > The Kings of Eternity

The Kings of Eternity by Eric Brown

bookshelves: 2011_release_read, genre-sf, read_2011

Since my experience with Eric Brown's work is mixed at best - liked Penumbra a lot, Helix mostly, but was meh on Necropath and sequels and thought that Engineman was badly dated and parochial to boot - I did not pay attention to this one until very enthusiastic reviews from Mark and Rob decided me to get it; on finishing it I have to say that the book is very well written, compelling and i stayed way too late to finish it.

The Kings of Eternity is the kind of book that needed a different publisher since I agree with Mark and Rob that with the right marketing (release at least as a tpb if not a hc, easy availability in stores and placement in the fiction shelves rather than sf the way I saw Map of Time which is quite inferior to this one but made a lot of splash) this is a book that could have a Time Traveller's Wife appeal and success.

Reclusive writers, tragic romances, artists, Greece, a great premise for the sf newbie and great writing make the right combination for that.

sadly the book seems to be very little promoted and it is not available in store, only online- never saw it a bookstore and I looked for it in quite a few B&N's and Borders both here in MI and in NY - so I suspect it will be quickly forgotten, while books like Time Traveler's Wife and a map of Time which imho are not as good by a lot will still be out there and people won;t know what they miss...

This being said, as a sf novel there are some drawbacks - the story is one I read for the 100th time so I could predict it in general lines very early, the sf content is pure 30's pulp (ray guns and all) and the book verges on solipsism on occasion. The biggest failing though was the complete seriousness the sfnal part is taken - here it shows the difference between a decent sf writer like Mr. Brown and a top level one like say C. Priest who would have inserted enough ambiguity to make one wonder if the aliens and all are real or everything comes from the delusions of the narrator. That would have raised the novel to possibly a masterpiece of sf; this way it is a very good book, highly recommended and one that should appeal a lot to sf newbies and show them why the genre is so well loved by its fans

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kings of Eternity.

July 13, 2011 – Started Reading