Glire's Reviews > Frostblood

Frostblood by Elly Blake

Dec 21, 2016

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult, netgalley, 2017-popsugar-reading-challenge

2017 PopSugar Reading Challenge #16:A book that's published in 2017.

“The book says that a west wind will blow when the child of light is born, a powerful Fireblood who will fight the darkness and destroy it forever”

And what if the tweets of @DystopianYA aren't inspired by books like this, but instead books like this are inspired by the tweets of @DystopianYA?

description

So, Frostblood is being published today and if you ask me if I recommend it my answer would be something like:

description

Why? Just imagine a place where all the young adult tropes meet to create a story. That's Frostblood.

A "special" girl who has a power that she never desired but that is the only one that can save them all ✔
Meet a tough, handsome and "mysterious" young man ✔
That forces her, for her sake (always is for her sake), to live in a place surrounded by her enemies ✔
Where she will train to destroy the evil king ✔
While she train they will discover that, strangely, she has an ability to do things that take decades of practice for others ✔
“It’s remarkable that you can do that with so little training.”

May be possible that she is "The Chosen One" of whom the old prophecy speaks of? ✔
The "mysterious" young man hides a dark secret (so dark that it is evident from the second chapter) ✔
The "special" girl and the "mysterious" young man are natural enemies, so of course they hate each other ... until they realize that they actually love each other? ✔
“I sensed on some level that he was as lonely as I was, and maybe he didn’t have to be. Maybe I didn’t have to be.”

(Yep, sure, that's love)

And just when they realize their feelings, the "special" girl is kidnapped by the King who knows how "special" she is ✔
But instead of killing her (because that would be way too easy), he decides to entertain himself by sending the "special" girl on deadly challenges (so that everyone in the kingdom realise how special she is, because that's the most intelligent thing to do when you want that everybody thinks that YOU are the best) ✔✔✔

Now that I think about it, this is basically A Court of Thorns and Roses, but with Frostbloods ("mysterious" young man, the King and everybody else) and Firebloods ("special" girl) instead of faeries and humans.

description

And as if the formulated writing, stereotyped characters and mediocre romance were not enough, I just discovered that it's gonna have TWO unnecessary continuations. Because of course that it has to be a trilogy!

Points for originality: ABSOLUTE ZERO.

---------
[Reseña en español: aquí]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostblood.

December 21, 2016 – Shelved
January 3, 2017 – Started Reading
January 3, 2017 –
14.0% "Una joven con un poder incontrolable, un rey tirano que debe ser asesinado (y of course que ella es la única que puede hacerlo), un apuesto pero exasperante extraño que la ayudará(?) con su venganza.\n\ndescription"
January 7, 2017 –
35.0% "-Es perseguida por un poder que nunca pidió, pero que es el único que puede salvarlos. \n\n-No sabe dominar el poder, práctica una vez, ya es la más poderosa de todo el reino. \n\n-Su interés amoroso está "roto", guarda un oscuro secreto y probablemente haga que la maten, pero no importa porque sus ojos azules "brillan como el hielo".\n\nLOL. Esto como leer el timeline de @DystopianYA."
January 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by CalypK (new)

CalypK la sinopsis me suena igualito a la reina roja

Glire Nunca la leí, pero por ahí vi que no son tan parecidos como parece. Aunque ni idea si será cierto o no.

message 3: by Scarlet Cameo (new)

Scarlet Cameo OMG!!!! Wait!! Creo que ya leí este libro

Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer

message 4: by Sofia (new)

Sofia C Entonces ni leas la Reina Roja porque exactamente lo mismo, (te lo digo porque que creo que no lo has leído)

Glire Scarlet Cameo wrote: "OMG!!!! Wait!! Creo que ya leí este libro "

Ese fue mi sentimiento durante toda la lectura. Un solo deja vu gigantesco.

Glire Sofia wrote: "Entonces ni leas la Reina Roja porque exactamente lo mismo, (te lo digo porque que creo que no lo has leído)"

No, no lo he leído. Vi muchas malas reseñas y resistí. De lo que me salve.

message 7: by Tarsis (new) - added it

Tarsis Mejor no lo leo...