Katie's Reviews > The Declaration

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

bookshelves: 2016-books-read, favourites, books-on-my-bookcases, 2019-books-i-want-to-read

Oh my gosh, I LOVED this book! And it's so annoying, because I've had it sat on my bookcase for a few years for some reason! The whole series in fact! Foolish past me!

I wasn't expecting to love this so much. I thought it would just be one of those quick reads that you enjoy enough, but it's not amazing. But boy was I wrong! I'm speed typing this so I can go and start the second book right away!

I loved Anna's character. I thought it was really well done how much she's bought all the brainwashing about being worthless and needing to pay the world back for being born. And I like how as soon as things start happening she doesn't just change her mind about everything immediately. (view spoiler)

Mrs Pincent was the most interesting character to me I think. Seeing as I'm only writing about her and Anna in this review, and Anna is the main character. I thought at the beginning that she was just going to be this side character, the awful Adult who is terrible to the main characters before they move on with the story. But she just kept on getting more and more evil and ruthless and crazy as the book went on!
(view spoiler)

Also, my prediction was correct! (view spoiler)

Random thoughts:

- Haha at the guy who invented the drug dying before he could even take it.
- The amount of brutality in this is insane! The poor kids! The poor people who break the law for good causes!
- Mrs Pincent is fucking insane!
- It's so scary to think how this, really, is totally a plausible future. And that's kind of terrifying!
- (view spoiler)
- It's nice to read a Dystopian book set in England, rather than the US.

One last thing. How old is Anna? Because at the beginning she says in her diary that in six months it will be her 15th birthday. But on the blurb and on the description on Amazon and everywhere else it says that she's 16?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declaration.

December 21, 2016 – Started Reading
December 21, 2016 – Shelved
December 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
page 40
page 113
page 132
44.75% "I hope she takes this diary, otherwise I can sense some awful foreshadowing here..."
page 134
45.42% "Ok, I totally have a prediction!"
page 164
page 187
page 240
page 252
85.42% "Yesss, I think my prediction is happening!"
page 279
94.58% "OH MY GOD!"
page 279
94.58% "Double oH MY FUCKING GOD! I hadn't finished the page and then something else! Jesus!"
page 294
99.66% "For gods sake Anna, stop writing down things that could incriminate you later!"
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-books-read
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: favourites
December 23, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 19, 2017 – Shelved as: books-on-my-bookcases
January 9, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-books-i-want-to-read

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

~alaa~ Loved this review I know it’s old but I also loved this book too