Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > One of Us Is Lying

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

bookshelves: beautiful-book-covers, 2017, dnf

DNF @ 30%

OK, so I almost hate myself for putting this one down, but apparently I just can't deal with books that are even slightly YA. There is something about the writing and the characters that I really can't get on with.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is clearly well written and the characters, from what I read, are well developed but I just couldn't get past the teen-ness of this. I like books that are gritty and use words that I sometimes have to stop and Google, that's just my preference... so that's why I couldn't get on with this. Completely down to the fact that it's just not my style of book.

When I got to 23% a small thought planted itself in my head and because I wasn't thoroughly enjoying reading it, I decided to skip to the end to see if my thoughts were correct, and I was halfway there. That's not the say this book doesn't have a good twist, because from reading lots of reviews, it does come as quite a shock to most people.

Never again am I going to request and download a book that's a mystery & thriller but also teen & YA. At least I've learnt a lesson.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House UK Children's for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review... I promise I won't request from you again so you don't waste an ARC on me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Us Is Lying.

December 21, 2016 – Shelved
December 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 21, 2016 – Shelved as: beautiful-book-covers
May 29, 2017 – Started Reading
May 29, 2017 –
11.0% "I've been so terrible at reading over this long weekend. I've literally only sat down today and started this book, oops"
Finished Reading
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra i understand. for the most part lately i've been done with YA. it just doesn't do it for me anymore.