Erica Chilson's Reviews > The Queen B* and the Homecoming King

The Queen B* and the Homecoming King by Crista McHugh

4182064

bookshelves: young-adult, school-is-cool, wickedreads, 5-star

I used my personal copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 coming-of-age stars.

Young Adult age-range: 13+. Parental discretion due to a handful of profanity/hate speech (realistically shown) Kissing. Heavy subject matter dealing with assault/bullying.

Alexis is transforming before the reader's eyes. Turning from a hard young woman who refuses to compromise, to the version of herself Brett brings out- compassion and empathy. The ability to see a situation from more than just her perspective. She is learning how justice may be blind, but it's blinding her to everything outside of herself.

The truth may be black and white, but the emotions are hidden in the shades of gray. No longer closed off, Alexis is feeling more about everything and everyone in her life, learning how to compromise.

Brett isn't at the forefront of this installment, as through Alexis we see where their friends and family's lives are headed as well. Comfortable in their place in one another's life, Alexis is no longer fighting Brett's pull. She takes up a supportive role in her boyfriend's life, showing she is more than a protector and pessimist.

The characters are flawed but teeming with realistic human emotion. Heavy subject matter is explored in this novel and the previous one, done so in a manner in which it is realistic for target age group- scary things which happen to teens everyday, showing how resilient and strong they can be when faced with these situations. This may be a guide and comfort to those who may have experienced the same.

After reading all three books in a singular sitting, I am pleased overall and left wanting more. I look forward to reading more by this author, and highly recommend to young adults and their more mature counterparts. We adults need to feel that spark of warmth only a budding crush can bring on.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen B* and the Homecoming King.

December 21, 2016 – Started Reading