Hannah's Reviews > The Djinn Falls in Love & Other Stories

The Djinn Falls in Love & Other Stories by Mahvesh Murad

bookshelves: arc, fantasy, short-stories

Wonderfully immersive and original stories.

This collection was unlike most books I have read in recent years. Mahvesh Murad and Jared Shurin collected wonderful stories from all over the world showcasting the different types of Djinns (or Jinns, or Genies or whatever you would like to call them); this diversity of authors made for a really ecclectic and amazing collection. The stories told are unique and still relatable; every author brings something different to the table and every story is a surprise. While I enjoyed some stories more than others, every single one of the stories was a great addition to the overall collection.

I especially loved reading about the different myths relating to djinns and how that influenced how they were portrayed. To be perfectly honest, when I hear the word "djinn" I automatically think of Aladdin - the djinns in these stories were very different to that. Some djinns were nasty, some were misunderstood, some were really lovely, and some were maybe no djinns at all.

What I loved most were the stories set in the future - the worlds these authors created were without fail totally different from what I usually encounter in dystopian or sci-fi stories and I really appreciated that. It made me think about what we take for granted in literature and how that can be challenged and be made original again. I am so used to seeing Western authors use the genre to criticize their societies, that I never stopped to think about the fact that authors from all over the world can use dystopian literature to tell their stories and their critiques and that these stories will vastly differ from my usual fair.

Overall, I can whole-heartedly recommend this collection! It made me think, it made me feel, and it showed me lots of authors I never heard about but want to read more from.

___
I received an arc of this book curtesy of NetGalley and Rebellion in exchange for an honest review. Thanks for that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Djinn Falls in Love & Other Stories.

December 21, 2016 – Shelved
December 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 21, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
January 9, 2017 – Started Reading
January 15, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 15, 2017 – Shelved as: short-stories
January 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Great review, Hannah!

Hannah Sam wrote: "Great review, Hannah!" Thank you, Sam!

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Very interesting!