David Montgomery's Reviews > The Dragon's Path

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

A much better, and much darker, epic fantasy novel than I expected. It has the immersive worldbuilding and inventive plot that I typically enjoy, but I wasn't expecting the characters to be as fascinating as they were. Most strikingly, Abraham was unafraid to let his viewpoint characters be wrong — mistaken, yes, but also *morally* wrong. The protagonists are not necessarily the heroes of the story, a realization that develops in unexpected ways. Though very much a set-up book for the volumes to follow it in the series, it's enjoyable in its own right and engages intelligently with ideas, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon's Path.

Quotes David Liked

“I’m saying there is evil in the world,” Master Kit said, hefting the box on his hip, “and doubt is the weapon that guards against it.

Yardem took the box from the old actor's hands and lifted it to the top of the pile.

"But if you doubt everything," the Tralgu said, "how can anything be justified?"

"Tentatively. And subject to later examination. It seems to me the better question is whether there's any virtue in committing to a permanent and unexamined certainty. I don't believe we can say that.”
Daniel Abraham, The Dragon's Path