Erica Chilson's Reviews > The Queen B* Strikes Back

The Queen B* Strikes Back by Crista McHugh

4182064

bookshelves: 5-star, wickedreads, young-adult, contemporary-romance

I used my personal copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 deliciously angsty stars.

Young Adult age-range: 13+

After reading Confessions of a Queen B*, I immediately jumped into the next in the series- also reading it in one sitting. Hard to imagine, but I found it even more addictive, pages clicking by at a rapid pace.

Alexis is trying to keep Brett in the friend-zone, due to fear after the betrayal Summer dealt her. With her sister and Brett both acting as Summer's minions, she finds it difficult to trust two of the most important people in her life.

Alexis is a justice-seeker, the protector of the bullied, the girl who rights the wrong by showing those being led astray the errors of their ways. We all need an Alexis- the devil's advocate, the voice of reason, the harsh reality that removes the pretty lies we tell ourselves.

BUT, in her own life, Alexis is a train wreck due to the fact her fear won't allow anyone in. She listens to her gut, but then she ignores it when it matters most, showing she isn't a superhero after all. The heroine of this tale is a high school girl, but she tries her hardest.

This series is heavy with the morals, dished up in a way that no one would realize they were swallowing a heaping helping. As for the morality bent, it's shown in a realistic light- the pros and cons of any given situation. There is no element of preachy-ness to it whatsoever.

Brett is truly a good guy, but he suffers from being a 'guy'. They seem to be blind to the manipulations girls use. But in this, I kind of lose respect for Brett, because no guy is THAT blind. Instead of frustration, I rooted for Alexis when her inner monologue mirrored exactly what every young woman, and grown alike, need for self-respect.

Off to read the conclusion- I already one-clicked and was writing this review as it downloaded on my Kindle. As of right now, Alexis is one of my favorite young adult heroines. Let's hope the conclusion keeps her in that top position.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen B* Strikes Back.

December 20, 2016 – Shelved