C.G. Drews's Reviews > Starfish

Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2017, mental-illness, young-adult

This was brutally BRILLIANT. I have...I have feelings. So many. At least more than 2 which is intense. It was sweet and it was super super sad and had an incredible ending and just...wow, ok. Wow.

+ It has the BEST representation of social anxiety I've ever read.
It literally just read my mind and writing out my thoughts...which sounds creepy written out like that wow Cait well done. But I mean this in a good way! If you have anxiety or social anxiety...I 500% recommend this book. I mean, I heckin' recommend it even if you are a mutant potplant. The point is, though, it's uplifting and encouraging to see anxiety represented so well and with such love and care.

+ Kiko's family life breaks my heart.
Her mother absolutely psychologically abused her and is totally racist. Kiko's never felt loved, pretty, validated, or cared about. And reading about characters like that just makes me BURN with fury that they can be so overlooked. I rooted for Kiko to get her dream of being an artist and get out so so bad.

+ I loved the super sweet friendship between her and Jamie.
(oh and I also loved her beautiful and uplifting and empowering female-friendship with Emery!) But her and Jamie were SO CUTE. Like childhood friends who lost each other when they were 11 and NOW ARE BACK. Their lack of communication sort of made me want to eat a brick wall. But you know. Who communicates. Haha. No one. What did I say about mutant potplants? We are all. JAMIE WAS ADORABLE THOUGH. He did some dubious things I wasn't pleased about (view spoiler) but overall #ShippingIt.

+ I loved the discussions about being biracial.
Kiko's father is Japanese and her mother Caucasian. I believe this is #ownvoices too! It's an incredible perspective to read from an author who knows and my heart broke for Kiko being made to feel she could never belong, never be pretty, never be anything. (NO, KIKO SWEETIE, THE WORLD IS YOURS.)

+ Art. Art is good.
It actually reminds me of I'll Give You the Sun for the way the art was described so VISUALLY that you could see it. I lowkey wish there'd been sketches on the page though. I would've fallen onto my face with adoration then. <--- um yeah somehow that's a compliment. IDK, etiher mate. With my reviews we just roll with it.

+ It was really sad though.
Feelings. So. many. feelings.

+ I don't even have much to note that I didn't like???
I found the lack-of-communication frustrating, but like it was realistic. And I loved the character development and arcs a LOT. And the writing was gorgeous. 😍

It's so hard to write a review honestly. I've been reviewing for like 4+ years and sometimes you just have to raise a book in the air and say: "IT GOOD. READ PLEASE."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starfish.

December 20, 2016 – Shelved
December 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 25, 2017 – Started Reading
October 25, 2017 –
22.0% "this is SO SAD AND MY SOUL HURTS"
October 26, 2017 –
60.0% "If you want to read a book that is SO REALISTIC about social anxiety???? This. Read it. It for you."
October 27, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
October 27, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 27, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
October 27, 2017 – Shelved as: mental-illness
October 27, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

SilverWisp BUT I WANNA READ IT....

C.G. Drews @SilverWisp: You should! I'm 60% in and it's SO GOOD and I thoroughly recommend it!!

Sprinkled Pages AHA SO GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT! I loved this so much!

C.G. Drews @Anisha: It was SO SO GOOD. <3 Definitely one I want everyone to read immediately. 😍

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Wow! I loved this review Cait. I'm definitely gonna check this one out :))))

C.G. Drews @Megan: Yay I'm so glad!!

Kelly Not heard of this before but it sounds really good, so I'll check it out. And as always, another great review. :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

YOU FINALLY READ IT WOW HOW COULD I MISS THIS. I LOVED IT SO MUCH <3

C.G. Drews @ilsa: It was SUCH a good book!!

message 10: by Schly (new) - added it

Schly UGH!!!!!!!! I want to read this soo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ALWAYS WANTED TO BUT NOW I WANT IT EVEN MORE

Miriam Joy Ooh, I have this from NetGalley. It's fairly far down my TBR though, because I only got approved for it a few days ago and I'm trying to go through things in order. (It's not working, but I'm getting there? Kind of? And yes this does mean I do actually have a TBR now. It's terrible. How did this happen)

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Schly: YOU NEED IT FOR SURE.

@Miriam: Welcome to the book blogging world of TBRs and torture. :') You're going to have so much fun.