Wendy Darling's Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

Quotes Wendy Darling Liked

Catherynne M. Valente
“It is well known that reading quickens the growth of a heart like nothing else.”
Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Shannon Your review of Liesl & Po reminded me of this book. They seem very similar - which is definitely not a bad thing!

Wendy Darling That's why I thought of you! The language and story and such seem like the two of them would make good bookshelf companions. :) I still have to get myself a copy of this.

Shannon I got this from the library, but I might have to just buy a copy. I think I just want to buy Liesl & Po too, but I keep spending $10 here, $10 there, and it's adding up :(

My library is ridiculously awesome though, and I bet they order it.

Wendy Darling I know, I have that same problem. Based on the amazing quotes you posted and what I've seen of the artwork, I think this one will go in the "to buy" pile for me, though. And I'm totally buying more copies of Liesl & Po for friends, too.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Oh, Wendy, this book is so cute and fun! I really think you'll love it.

Wendy Darling Thanks AMV! I bought this book months ago, just haven't had a chance to read it yet. :(

Candice Abraham Hey Wendy, I just started this book and the writing does possess a similar tone. I'm curious to know what you'd think of it and how it compares/contrasts, especially since Liesl and Po was your number one book of 2011.

Candice Abraham Oh and I meant - similar tone to Liesl and Po!

Wendy Darling I bought this book a few months ago and I'm going to try to read it soon, Candice! Look forward to seeing what you think of it. :) My friend The Holy Terror (who also loved L&P) really loved this one, too.

Candice Abraham Wendy Darling wrote: "I bought this book a few months ago and I'm going to try to read it soon, Candice! Look forward to seeing what you think of it. :) My friend The Holy Terror (who also loved L&P) really loved this o..."

Cool. Thanks Wendy!

message 11: by Shannon (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shannon Liesl & Po is just a tad more somber, but they both have that underlying sense of "not just a fairy tale for children."

Lucy is supposed to be listening to this on audio, but I guess she only listens to audio books when she has mundane busywork to do and she hasn't had much of that as of late. Wendy, when you start this, if she hasn't started already you should poke her and read it together.

Wendy Darling I don't know when I'll get around to this, to be honest...but I do like poking Lucy. :D

message 13: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Would be very interested to see what you think of this one. I admit to not reading a lot of middlegrade fiction, but I keep coming back to this one. It does sound like something I'd want to read, being a fan of all things mythic and fairytale-ish.

Wendy Darling It's lovely so far--it's very old-school fairy tale like, Tammy. I think you'd like it!

message 15: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly I'm reading this one too. Such a sweet story so far.

message 16: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy This one sounds really good. I like the fact that you mention it has an old school fair tale feel to it. Need to read:) Glad you are enjoying it!

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral Wendy - I bought this to read with my youngest. Glad you're enjoying it. And yes, it's just sitting on my shelf. :(

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished reading this! Before that, though, I listened to the audio version and it was divine. Cat narrated herself (which I don't usually like) and she did a fantastic job.

Keira I read this a few months ago and loved it.
It reminded me a lot of Liesl & Po too but at times it also reminded me Alice in Wonderland with the Wyverary and such. It seemed very Lewis Carroll.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I definitely agree with Kay re Alice in Wonderland. There was sometimes a totally nonsensical feeling about much like Wonderland. This makes me want to read Liesl & Po but where is the tiiiiime.