Daniel Rekshan's Reviews > Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life

Conscious Dreaming by Robert Moss

Jul 12, 2011

bookshelves: dreams, books-i-bought-with-the-intention-o, shamanism
Read from January 13 to April 24, 2012

Every once in a while, I'll go to a bookstore and buy a book with no clear reason why or even a notion of when I'll read it. This book was one of them. After a few weeks of it on my shelf, I started it. I think its subtly changed my life or, at least, my relationship to my dreams.

Moss offers a very sane view of dreams, backed up with years of personal experience, study, and work facilitating dream groups. He suggests that while dreams have a psychological component, they're also spiritual in nature. This isn't a new notion and in fact none of what he presents is novel. Rather, it reads more like a collection of chapters on common sense about dreaming than a presentation of a theory.

He simply points out that they're a very natural experience, albeit somewhat magical. He goes through their aspects and offers his experience on them, which is very interesting and informative. He offers techniques to engage with and explore dreams.

The best part of this book is that the techniques and experiences aren't limited to dreams in sleep. He offers methods to engage with the world, memories of dreams, and psychological phenomena during waking life. In fact, I finished reading this book with a strong appreciation for the dream-like nature of waking life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conscious Dreaming.

01/13/2012 page 6
2.0% "This is pretty good so far."
01/13/2012 page 7
2.0% "Making progress"
01/18/2012 page 34
9.0% "This is a very lucid book about dreaming."
02/29/2012 page 110
29.0% "This is a good book."
03/05/2012 page 177
46.0% "This is one of the best books about dreaming I've read. I'm particularly enjoying his treatment of dreams as shamanic."
03/29/2012 page 200
52.0% 1 comment
04/13/2012 page 294
77.0% "Better and better"
show 4 hidden updates…