Charlotte May's Reviews > The Weight of Silence

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

bookshelves: tear-jerker, contemporary-recent, crime-mystery-thriller, alcoholism-drugs, favourites

This was quite possibly the first thriller/mystery I ever read. It set the bar for future reads, and what a high bar it set!
Two young girls, Calli and Petra; in a Southern American state go missing, after which follows the small town turning on itself and on each other. There is the top suspect, Calli's alcoholic father, as well as the underlying mystery of Calli's selective mutism.
The story moves between different POV including each of the young girls, the parents and also Callie's brother. It is a fantastic mystery, unraveling the flaws and secrets of so many of the characters and I loved them all! Even knowing the outcome I still love to get into the heads of the characters and its such a perfect setting. Highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Silence.

Started Reading
June 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 19, 2016 – Shelved
December 20, 2016 – Shelved as: tear-jerker
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary-recent
January 26, 2017 – Shelved as: crime-mystery-thriller
May 11, 2017 – Shelved as: alcoholism-drugs
January 9, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Sounds good!

Charlotte May Beverly wrote: "Sounds good!"

I loved it! Plus the selective mutism element created a nice twist from the norm :)

Kathy Southern American state???? the description says it takes place in Iowa

Charlotte May @Kathy: I’m from the UK. I don’t know which states are counted as Southern or not or even where Iowa is

Kathy Charlotte wrote: "@Kathy: I’m from the UK. I don’t know which states are counted as Southern or not or even where Iowa is"

No problem, I was just confused as to where this book actually took place. I live in Iowa and it is in the middle of the country.