Nandini | Novels and Nebulas's Reviews > Passenger

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

bookshelves: 2017
Recommended for: fans of YA fantasy, time travel or romance, adventurers at heart and "legal pirates"

Characters:
I loved the way the main character, Etta, made sense of the world around her using sounds and melodies, which made the viewpoint of the character unique and refreshing. I also liked the fact that the other main character, Nicholas, was a person of colour. His past and the way in which the author explores the themes of racial discrimination and slavery really moved me. They are both very interesting and complex. Etta certainly fits the bill as a strong female character. The instant attraction between the two didn't convince me in the beginning, but there's enough tension and conflict that puts a unique spin on the romance aspect. I shed a tear or two at some of the tender moments in the book even though it was a case of 'forbidden love'.

Plot and Setting:
The fact that Etta knows nothing of the legacy she has inherited or about the characters adds enough mystery to the story to keep the reader turning the pages. The vastly different eras and places they find themselves in makes the book hard to put down. There's a lot at stake for both of the main characters personally, so one feels invested in the outcome as well. The only problem I had was with the ending. Things got extremely confusing and left me reeling. I felt unsatisfied as I thought it would have a more definite conclusion.

Writing Style:
What immediately pulled me into the book was the different years mentioned before each chapter. I liked the authenticity in the description of the different places and timelines. The little bits of history tucked away in the story made it all the more interesting for me and it did not seem like heavy info dumping. While the aspects of time travelling or the 'rules' can get slightly confusing, it didn't take me out of the story at any point.

Conclusion:
I felt like I read this book at the right time because the second book, Wayfarer, is out today. Passenger was exciting and wonderful enough to pull me into its world, but the ending bothered me a bit (hence only 4 stars), so I'm glad I can read the next book right away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passenger.

December 19, 2016 – Shelved