Stephanie G's Reviews > Hunted by the Others

Jul 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-read-by-beth

3.5 Stars

Shiarra is a PI. Her business is not doing so well, which leads her to work for the Circle. The Circle is a coven of Magi, the biggest in the city. Along with Magi, there are more ‘Others,’ Vamps and Weres. There is also a faction against ‘Others’ called the White Hats. The Circle asks her to recover an object from Royce, the richest and most influential vampire in the city.

Royce turns out to be a sexy vamp, but manipulative. Shiarra is scared of him, and rightly so. Instead of killing her, he ends up asking (blackmailing) her to sign a contract. A contract has to be signed for any relationship between a mortal and Vamp, or mortal and Were. I liked the idea of a contract, and liked the fact that Shiarra was scared of Royce. I think that in reality the average human would be scared. It makes for a refreshing change to the Urban Fantasy genre. Not only is Shiarra scared of Royce, and doesn’t fall at his feet in love, but she has no special power.

Shiarra is helped by her friend, and business partner Sara. She is also joined with Arnold the head of the Circle’s security. Arnold was one of my favorite characters out of the story. He is a mage with a thing for geeky things. There is also Chaz, Shiarra’s Were ex-boyfriend that pokes his nose into the mess she gets herself in. He is hunky and cute, but a little too dog like for my tastes. He acts as if he is trying to get back with Shiarra, and in the process sometimes comes off as too soft.

This is a fast paced novel. Tension and action go hand in hand, and most of it takes place in just a couple days. Its pace means it is very easy to sit down and read it cover to cover. I finished it in two sittings. The plot line was never confusing. The story unfolded itself in its New York urban setting.

The only thing that threw me was Sara, and some repeated thoughts and feelings from Shiarra. Sara was a little too easy of a character. She has no flavor, but feels just there until she isn’t. I felt more for Sara’s sister who only makes two appearances. My only other complaint is a pet-peeve of mine. Shiarra has a bad habit of telling the reader repeatedly what she is and isn’t feeling.

When the story ended, I am not sure how I felt about the relationships in it. The story was good. I love anything packed full of action. There were lots of surprise turns, and I love that. I cheered Shiarra on, but I didn’t cheer Shiarra and Chaz on. I want to see where the story goes, and I want the characters and the relationships between them to grow, maybe even surprise me.
-Beth (Guest Reviewer)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunted by the Others.