anna's Reviews > Dreamland Burning

Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham

bookshelves: cover-love, historical-fiction, young-adult, mystery

It was probably quieter a hundred years ago, but that doesn’t necessarily mean better. I understand now that history only moves forward in a straight line when we learn from it. Otherwise it loops past the same mistakes over and over again.

review: Dreamland Burning is a vibrant, modern told story about the Tulsa race riot.

I steer away from historical fiction because history bores me. The historical story needs to POP at me or I don't see it. But Dreamland Burning accomplished that for me. I was immediately attached to the cover and the synopsis. So, lo and behold, I enjoyed this book very much! I'm still super giddy about it haha.

Dreamland Burning is dual narrative by two teens living in Tulsa Oklahoma, but in different time periods. We get Will's perspective, a caucasian boy living in the 1920's and dealing with the Tulsa race riot. And we have Rowan, a biracial black girl who found a skeleton in her backyard. This skeleton connects their lives together. I liked the dual narrative! But I prefered Rowan's perspective rather than Will's. Rowan had a clear, determined voice while Will's voice was messy and confused. Although .. both had good character growth and were (somwhat) family orientated. Families play a big part with the plot!

I had lots of feelings with the plot. I felt angry and awful for Will's side but more hopeful for Rowan's side. And the mystery of the skeleton really tied everything together. Everything will click at one point! I didn't expect that ending. Nothing was rushed, it felt natural and was so riveting. I was impressed with the plot .. and the writing. The writing was spot on. It flowed perfectly with the story. It changed completely in different perspectives - I wouldn't have been surprised if Dreamland Burning was written by two authors. But I am because it's written by one author!

Going into this, I knew nothing about the Tulsa race riot and I'm upset that I didn't know about it sooner. But I feel so much better informed. This story will make you mad, especially Will's side. It's heartbreaking and brutal but I'm so glad I read it.

TRIGGER WARNINGS:

- Violence
- Death
- Corpses
- Medical procedures
- Slurs
- Racism

OVERALL

Dreamland Burning left me curious and informed. It's an important read and recommended!

CHECK OUT MY BOOK BLOG FOR MORE REVIEWS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland Burning.

December 18, 2016 – Shelved
December 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 21, 2017 – Started Reading
March 21, 2017 –
page 61
16.71% "YES YES AND YES"
March 23, 2017 –
page 148
40.55% "i'm finding rowan's chapters easier to read"
March 25, 2017 –
March 27, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
March 27, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise (TheBookishActress) ooooh I have this on my shelf!!

anna Elise wrote: "ooooh I have this on my shelf!!"

yay!!