Celia's Reviews > The Ape Who Guards the Balance

The Ape Who Guards the Balance by Elizabeth Peters

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-book, historical-fiction, mystery

The character development in this 10th book of the Amelia Peabody series was great fun - I've skipped a couple, and it was lovely to see Ramses & Nefret as adults (and David, whom I'd never met as a child). There's a nice love story, a realistically tense family reaction, arguments between Amelia and her growingly independent children... I enjoyed these aspects of the story. I also liked the excerpts from "Manuscript H", being Ramses' diary, so that we get to see events not solely from Amelia's perspective.

Unfortunately, the mystery left a bit to be desired - it seemed to re-hash elements of previous books, and I must confess that when my audio book stopped a few tracks before the end, I wasn't terribly distressed. I didn't have a great deal invested in the mystery side of story, but I think the character development sets us up for some very fun novels in the future. I'm certainly going to keep reading the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ape Who Guards the Balance.