D.M.'s Reviews > Ring

Ring by Kōji Suzuki

Jul 12, 2011

liked it
Read from July 12 to 16, 2011

My wife loved these books, so I promised myself I'd read them after the classics I'd slogged through for the past two years. This volume was the perfect antidote to all the high-flown prose and heavy-handed literature I've been enjoying, as it's just the sort of thing one would pick up and read while on holiday.
I don't know if it's the translation, or if Suzuki's writing is really like this, but I was unimpressed by the prose style. Though it read VERY easily (it took me three days of unsteady reading to finish) the writing often felt like that of a high-schooler with aspirations to Stephen Kingdom.
That this is considered a horror novel is surprising to me; personally, I'd call it a suspense novel with supernatural elements (and I'm sure arguments could be made that is precisely what a horror novel is). For that, it's quite effective. I found myself at least involved in the situation, if I couldn't quite sympathise with any of the characters.
I could not recommend this except as an enjoyable, easy read, and definitely not required reading for horror fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ring.

07/12/2011 page 145
50.0% "A compelling story, but I'm not digging the writing much."
show 1 hidden update…