Sarah Louise's Reviews > The Memory Book

The Memory Book by Lara Avery

Wow. My heart is simultaneously full and empty.

Sammie has Niemann–Pick type C, which presents itself with an array of symptoms, including the focus of The Memory Book, progressive dementia. To commemorate her life, Sammie creates a written collection of memories addressed to her future self. It's not a fluid story, but more like fragments of the good and bad, and something about that felt so real.

It's easy to connect to Sammie. From beginning to end, it felt like you, as the reader, are her, the future Sammie. It's such agony to read about the balance between wanting to remain realistic of the outcome of the disease and still wanting her to live life as originally planned.

Her family was wonderful. They are so present and supportive. Not only does The Memory Book show the struggle of living with Niemann–Pick type C, but also the lasting effects it leaves on loved ones. It highlighted the sadness, but also the anger with how unfair this disease is.

There's two love interests, and really, that's the only issue I had. The story didn't need both. I favoured Cooper, only because there's something about the childhood friend trope that I love, but either Stuart or Cooper would have left a lasting impression. They're both positive lights in Sammie's life.

Be prepared for tears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Book.

December 17, 2016 – Shelved
December 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 15, 2017 – Started Reading
January 17, 2017 –
40.0% "I think I have a good idea on how this is going to end, and my heart isn't ready."
January 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by L A i N E Y (new) - added it

L A i N E Y Lovely review Sarah. Especially 'prepare for tears' :)

Sarah Louise oh! lainey wrote: "Lovely review Sarah. Especially 'prepare for tears' :)"

Thank you! :)