Amanda's Reviews > Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions

Tactics by Gregory Koukl

bookshelves: non-fiction, thought-provoking, 2017-reading-challenge, favorites
Recommended for: everyone!

I first heard about this book several years ago at a homeschool conference, when I was 13. It was my second introduction to apologetics at the time, and this book was recommended. I wrote down the title and promptly forgot about it for years. It wasn't until I took my first college class, which was about worldviews and apologetics, that the book came up again and I thought "I have to read this." Fast forward a year later and I finally got around to reading it...and I am so glad I did!

This book is incredible. It's really unique for its genre--as explained in the book's introduction, instead of one more apologetics book with the facts and evidence, this one is more of a how-to. As the title says, this book is about tactics. How to navigate conversations with others of opposing views. How to use questions to expose flaws in their reasoning and keep them answering, rather than you. Ever noticed how a lot of confrontations with atheists seem to end up with you being in the hot seat? Tactics shows you how to reverse the question arrow so it's pointing toward your conversation mate. It includes lots of real-life examples related to current issues, and is immensely practical. One chapter even gives you tips for dealing with a "steamroller" who is trying to run over you in the conversation.

I also love how at the beginning of the book, Koukl explains the importance of having good arguments. Not quarrels or strife-causing spats, but good arguments designed to seek the truth. I felt like he'd taken the words right out of my mouth. Seriously, this book is everything I have been trying to tell people for a year now!

One of the greatest takeaways from this book is a goal Koukl has adopted and recommends to the reader as well. Rather than focusing on trying to get the person "to the cross" in every conversation, simply try to put a stone in their shoe. Unsettle something in their mind. Give them something to take home and mull over, something that will stick with them and nag them a little bit. Don't make it your goal to change their mind completely--just plant a seed of doubt in their own ideas.

To those who wonder "why apologetics?"
To those who find themselves awed at "the masters" but have no clue where to begin.
To those who genuinely want to seek truth.
To those who want to know how to ask great questions.
To those who want to engage better with those around them.
To those who want to better understand and articulate what they believe and why.

This is the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tactics.

December 17, 2016 – Started Reading
December 17, 2016 – Shelved
December 17, 2016 –
page 86
41.55% "This is a phenomenal book so far. Really unique to its genre and what the author set out to accomplish (teaching you HOW to use apologetics, not just what the facts are), he is accomplishing well."
December 17, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction