Robert Bidinotto's Reviews > The Gray Man

The Gray Man by Mark Greaney

Jul 11, 2011

I won't repeat what others have said in describing the hero or the story. Let's just say that The Gray Man is the best debut thriller that I've had the pleasure to read since Lee Child's Killing Floor.

It's The Bourne Identity . . . without any slow spots! The characterizations are varied and memorable; the special-ops tradecraft and tactics are detailed and credible; the colorful European locales are rendered with vivid, you-are-there authenticity; the pace is driving and relentless. It's a tale that whizzes by like tracer bullets.

But the book's best and most memorable element is the complex character of hero Court Gentry. I say "hero" without reservation, because this career assassin happens to be a knight-errant, in the timeless lone-wolf-vigilante tradition. His near-mythic professional status as a ruthless, indomitable killer is counter-balanced by quiet idealism and poignant loneliness -- a surprising vulnerability that lends this tough-guy character an appealing humanity.

If you decide to hop in here, at the start of Mark Greaney's authorial journey, be sure to buckle your seatbelt: You're in for one hell of a ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gray Man.

02/23/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by Runaij (new) - added it

Runaij Omer "The Gray Man is the best debut thriller that I've had the pleasure to read since Lee Child's Killing Floor." -

You had me there, added to my list without a second thought.