Katie's Reviews > Mr. Knightley's Diary

Mr. Knightley's Diary by Amanda Grange

Mar 22, 2008

liked it

This one started slowly, but became fairly good. I read the first 86 pages in one sitting (definitely an easy read). It's by the same author who wrote Mr. Darcy's Diary. And while I'm not nearly as interested in Mr. Knightley's character as I was in Mr. Darcy's, and also while I still think the entries are a bit long to be taken seriously as "diary" entries, I was still curious as to how Mr. Knightley, who spent all his time criticizing Emma, came to love her. I was not nearly as satisfied with this book as I was with Mr. Darcy's Diary, but it did still answer some questions. I enjoyed it, but I have to say that I did not like how it ended. The author drags out the time between their engagement and marriage, more than in the original book if my memory serves me correctly, and then when it's finally time for the marriage, it's over all of a sudden. It ended so abruptly, not unlike the original, since Jane Austen did seem to end her novels with a wedding and a vague idea of happily ever after, but maybe I felt it ended that much more abruptly because of how much time the author spent on their betrothal and belaboring the point that Mr. Woodhouse didn't like the idea of "poor Emma" marrying Mr. Knightley because everything would change, and why couldn't it just stay the same.... I do also have to comment on the author's repeated use of the same word throughout the book. In Mr. Darcy's Diary, as more than one reviewer on this site pointed out, it was "satirically." Ugh. Miss Bingley in particular was credited with saying things to Mr. Darcy about Eliza Bennet "satirically." And in Mr. Knightley's Diary, everything Emma says and does is "saucy." She was always looking at him "saucily." Does this author not have a thesaurus?! All in all, if you liked "Emma," you'll enjoy Mr. Knightley's perspective of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Knightley's Diary.