Kendra's Reviews > The Girl Who Stopped Swimming

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson

Mar 22, 2008

liked it

I gave this author's first book a 5 and her second book a 4...see a pattern? I think she had a good idea with this book, but it just didn't come together in the right way for me. This is a ghost story/whodunit that begins when the main character, Laurel, awakens to find the ghost of a drowned girl standing by her bed. To me, it felt as though there was simply too much going on - a new mystery, an old mystery, marriage problems, sister problems, mother-daughter problems. Oh, and an offensively stereotyped southern town populated entirely by toothless meth addicts who don't care about their children or know about indoor plumbing...yeah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Stopped Swimming.

March 22, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 10, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Avynne yes, i totally agree that the southern town was stereotyped. the meth heads i can maybe see...but the lack of indoor plumbing?? what in the world???

Jody  Julian Excellent synopsis. Just finished and felt the same.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Haha the characterization of southern hicks was spot on! Moved to Florida a few years ago & the state is full of white trash, ignorance & meth heads!

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Believe me you don't have to look far to see exactly what is described in the book even right here in Tampa ! Being from New York I was stunned at whats going on in Florida. I blame in part republican politics. The safety nets that exist in other states just arent there & whole generations just fall through the cracks. The other part of that is lack of education. The farther south one goes, the less importance is put on education. I lived in Dallas for a few yrs & over & over I heard people saying they only hire those graduated from colleges "up north"! It was accepted that the southern colleges were inferior. Moving from far north to far south was like moving to a different planet!

Carol Guthrie I live in rural southwest Virginia, and TRUST ME, this whole no-indoor-plumbing, meth-head culture, unpaved roads with trailers and scrawny dogs under the porch thing absolutely, absolutely still exists. Absolutely. You can consider yourself lucky that you've never seen it, much less grown up in it.