Julie's Reviews > Some Writer!: The Story of E. B. White

Some Writer! by Melissa Sweet

bookshelves: favorite-books

This book is magical. I could feel it the moment I held it in my hands. It's so alive, it seems as though it has a pulse of its own.

I can not recommend it enough. Do not be fooled, thinking it is a "children's book." My children are precious, but this is not for them. It is for me, and for all lovers of E.B. White, all writers, and all biography aficionados.

I have loved E.B. White since my childhood, and I consider Charlotte's Web one of the most perfect books ever written. I have more recently discovered his "adult essays," and I cry or laugh through most of them.

I now love Melissa Sweet as well, for this inspired and wonderful book. I had moments while I was reading this that my hands shook, and moments where spontaneous tears ran down my face.

I would love to fill this review with quote after quote from the book, but it would be more useful for me to say. . . go get it. You won't regret it.

I must at least include this one quote, from E.B. White:

All that I hope to say in books, all that I ever hope to say, is that I love the world. I guess you can find that in there, if you dig around.

Dig? No. You don't need to dig in his work to find the love. It's all over the place.

You lovely man, you break my heart with your beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Writer!.

December 16, 2016 – Shelved
December 16, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 4, 2017 – Started Reading
February 4, 2017 – Shelved as: favorite-books
February 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 1: by Bam (new) - added it

Bam What a wonderful review, Julie! Thanks for the recommendation.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin Gorgeous review, Julie! Your love for this book is palpable. I too love Charlotte's Web (because of this book, I don't kill spiders). This sounds like a gem.

Julie Thank you so much. After I finished this last night and reviewed it, I was so overwrought with emotion, I couldn't fall asleep for hours. I love when a book has that type of power!

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Boyer Your review has me excited & intrigued! Can't wait to read!

message 5: by Jon(athan) (new) - added it

Jon(athan) Nakapalau Thank you Julie!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Julie, another Facebook friend recommended this book to me today after she saw my E.B. White recent updates about listening to Charlotte's Web on audio, read by the author, and ratings of his other books. I agree with you that CW is the perfect book. I'm getting the hard back of Some Writer because, after reading your beautiful review, I can tell it's a book I will want to hug and cherish.

Julie Jennifer,
You will never be able to get rid of that book, so a hard copy is a great choice!

message 8: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Fantastic review, Julie, I pre-ordered this before it came out, and I think someone filed it away, so I have to find it, but I am so glad I read this review so I can find it and read it. Thank you!

Julie Cheri,
Thank you for resurrecting this one today. It’s one of my favorite books and one of my favorite writers.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister Thanks for the rec., can’t wait to read this.

Julie Debbi,
Truly. . . it's so lovely.

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister Hoopla,the library app, has some of his essays I believe. I just want to immerse myself in E.B. White now.

Julie I have reviewed several of his collected essays, if it helps. Two in particular are worthy of reading above almost anything else in print. I'm not kidding!

message 14: by Abigail (new) - added it

Abigail Thank you for the recommendation! This one has been on my radar for some time - it sounds lovely.

Julie Abigail,

message 16: by Abigail (new) - added it

Abigail Julie wrote: "Abigail,
I saw it today, and I thought of you. It is an *almost* perfect book. I can't spread the E.B. White love enough in one lifetime."

We did an event with this book at work, and I had the opportunity to meet Melissa Sweet. It was lots of fun! I've meant ever since to read it, but you know how that goes... thanks for the reminder!

Julie How wonderful! I'd love to meet her one day and thank her for this book. She has another fantastic one, about balloons. Balloons Over Broadway, I believe? Beautiful illustrations.

message 18: by Abigail (new) - added it

Abigail Julie wrote: "How wonderful! I'd love to meet her one day and thank her for this book. She has another fantastic one, about balloons. Balloons Over Broadway, I believe? Beautiful illustrations."

Yes, that one is my favorite, of the books of hers that I have read. A wonderful title for Thanksgiving too, if one lives in the NYC area.

message 19: by Canadian (last edited Jan 29, 2019 11:16AM) (new)

Canadian Reader Lovely review, Julie. A reader gets that same sense of love of the world in Steig—in Dominic, for example.

Julie I could not agree more! What a great example.

Betsy Robinson Oh, oh, oh, you had me by the first paragraph, and this review pulses! I can't wait to read this. I, too, revere Mr. White. (When you meet my friend Zelda McFigg, you will understand this more.) Thank you!

message 22: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara I'm so happy this popped up on my feed today. Sounds like such a delightful book and makes me remember how much I love E.B. White.

Julie Betsy,
This is so sweet. You will love this book. Promise!

Julie Sara,
I can't recommend it enough. I don't even think of it as a "kids book," it's more like an illustrated biography!

message 25: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Coming across this review just makes me feel so happy tonight, Julie! I must read this one :)

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Charlotte's Web was a favourite of mine when I was a nipper and remains a must-read for all children. Seems as if this one fits the bill too!
fab review, Julie.

Julie Candi,
What a lovely comment. This is a precious book!

Julie Kevin,
I love it when you refer to your days as a nipper. It's so very British (and adorable)!

message 29: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Funny I never commented on this effin fantastic review!! I found it because I just read Betsy's great review where she gave you a shoutout. The two of you are costing me money, you realize--I was forced to go on Amazon and buy this baby! Believe it or not, I barely remember Charlotte's Web! So even though I'm not a diehard White fan, I trust that the book will transport me!

Julie Debbie,
This book! I make no apologies. It's fantastic.

I'm not just an E.B. White fan, I'm OBSESSED with him. I started reading his essays a few years ago, and I just couldn't stop. If you read only two of his essays in your life, I can't recommend "Death of a Pig" and "A Week in November" enough. The man breaks my heart!

You might be surprised. . . if you read Charlotte's Web now (maybe to the 9 year old?), you may like it more than ever. I enjoy it more as an adult than I did as a kid.

And his little book Here is New York? *Sigh* There's just something about how he captures. . . everything important. . . about life.

Anyway, thank you. Your enthusiasm for books is delicious!

message 31: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette I may take your advice and reread Charlotte’s web. Then, I will head straight for this book. So, I am in the process of decluttering as we want to downsize hopefully this year. I had saved 11 boxes of kids’ books. I have whittled it down to 3 and Charlotte’s Web is in one of those 3 boxes:)

Kimberly Dawn I am excited to hear about this one! I had read the following book last year,
and it was okay but not quite what I was looking for:

message 33: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I neeed to read this book. Lovely review!