Rachael Allen's Reviews > MILA 2.0

MILA 2.0 by Debra Driza

bookshelves: to-read

10 Things I Loved About MILA 2.0:

1. Mila is one of the most interesting, multi-layered characters I've read about in a very long time. She shows a tremendous range of emotions. Her reactions are very realistic. We already know she’s an android, and I really like how subtle the build up is. She comes into her abilities gradually, and there are these fabulous details hinting at what she really is. (example: “I cranked the old rotor window down, the one that stuck for Kaylee’s little brother and her mom but never gave me any problems at all.”) I think the thing I loved most though is how she identifies with being a human girl, but at the same time feels an intense longing to be “real”.

2. The plot is insane. INSANE. Driza is a master of pacing and tension and roller coasters and action scenes.

3. The twists. I don’t want to spoil anything, but let’s just say you’ll love them.

4. The voice. This is a big one for me because I read a lot of contemporary, and I sometimes find myself having trouble getting into speculative fiction because the voice isn’t there. This book combines sci-fi action thrills with an authentic teenage girl voice that will completely win you over and make you want to be Mila’s best friend (her inner monologue is hilarious!).

5. Every time Mila goes bad ass on someone. Teenage girls kicking butt. Love it. The action scenes are flawlessly choreographed.

6. Mila’s relationship with her mom. There are so many interesting levels here. I also loved the fact that Mila and her mom do one of those on the run bathroom makeovers.

7. Lucas. I love him.

8. I don’t want to spoil anything, (view spoiler)

9. The tests they put Mila through. This was probably the most exciting part of the book. Extracting info about the mole. The obstacle course from hell. The (view spoiler) scene that was so cool I can’t even stand it.

10. The ending of chapter 27. So creative. (Actually, all of Driza’s chapter endings are pretty stellar.)

The obligatory crit: There was some stuff that I was hoping would go down with Mila’s mom that didn’t happen, but otherwise I adored this book.

Overall: I loved this book! Great ending and plenty of secrets left to uncover. I can’t wait for the next one!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read MILA 2.0.

July 11, 2011 – Shelved
February 23, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Erin Brambilla Agree on ALL points. Especially #7. And all the spoilery bits :). I just finished and my heart is still pounding!

Rachael Allen Ah! Erin, I only just saw your comment! And yay! You can join the Lucas fan club with me and Sarah! *passes I <3 LUCAS tee shirt and key to the secret clubhouse*