A's Reviews > Epileptic

Epileptic by David B.

Mar 22, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: read-2008

Unquestionably the worst comic book I have ever read, and among the worst books (period) that I have ever had the displeasure of having suffered through. Pretentious, long-winded, uninteresting conceptually and plot-wise, excruciatingly scattered and disjointed (in the WRONG way), and completely amateurish and one-trick when it comes to the drawing style. This looks and reads like (and may actually contain?) the immature student sketches of someone who might someday perhaps maybe grow into a great writer and comic artist, provided they (1) get a REALLY good editor, (2) learn how to tell a story and actually express themselves through writing, and (3) actually grasp some basics of how to make comics impactful and visually interesting, rather than just a collection of random drawings.

For examples of how to actually make a decent comic out of a traumatic childhood and/or unique family history, I would suggest the brilliant Fun Home, the fascinating Persepolis (the movie is even better), or heck, try Maus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epileptic.

01/31/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Right on. It makes me feel like I'm crazy when out of 751 reviews, only a handful saw what I saw. The number of 4 and 5 star ratings on this book necessitate a distrust in goodreads ratings. Where has objectivity gone!?

The absolute best part about this book (and the reason for my two star rating) is the drawings of Mongol armies.

Specterspecter David B was a mentor of Marjane Satrapi.

message 3: by Tommaso (new)

Tommaso Querini The drawing style is similar but the storytelling is completely different. David B. relies too much on symbolic pretentious drawings that do not fit with the text. Thank you so much for suggesting Fun Home, that was an amazing experience!