LtLEGOReads's Reviews > The Paper Dolls

The Paper Dolls by Julia Donaldson

liked it
bookshelves: kiddos, kiddos-lifeskills-guides, kiddos-to-buy

I must admit that I only picked up this book because it is written by Julia Donaldson and I do like her books such as The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child.

The book is ok to me - did not impress not bore me. I love the illustrations - I think it's lovely and the paper dolls were drawn exactly to the rhyme/repetition lines, found in the book. I would think it makes for a great read aloud book with your child(ren) as the rhymes are quite apt and beautiful.

Well, the book is simply about a young girl with five paper dolls who then goes on an imaginary adventures with them - until a boy came along and cut the dolls into pieces.

Thus, the theme of the book can be a prelude to address the topic of loss, for instance. It takes the concept of fragility and what happens to the things we love - that sometimes, (every)thing is not ours to keep forever.

On a separate note, the book reminded me of my mother (or was it my late Grandma, who used to cut paper dolls for us to play with, when we were children.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Dolls.

December 16, 2016 – Started Reading