Denisa C's Reviews > We All Looked Up

We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach

9199857
Dec 27, 2016

liked it

I hate open endings. Like fuck them. I don't like them. I am the type of person that if not given a 20 pages epilogue will think the ending was kinda open. Thus, even though I understand the reason for this to have an open ending, I am still pissed.
This book is obviously character driven, so if you don't care for at least one character, there is little you can do to enjoy it. I can't say I loved all the characters, some I was indifferent towards and others I cared, but not that much.
The thing with this book is that I get what it was trying to say and I get it, but in the end the impact of it all was not that big. I am glad I read it at the end of the year, gives me something to think about for 2017. It gives you something to think about, about life choices and time.
From the four characters I think the most I liked Anita and Andy, Eliza and Peter were interesting but I think with them something was missing, there could be done more, especially with Eliza. Peter kept dissapering more and more from the story, I think that's why in the end his storyline did not impact me that much. As for Eliza, she as well was forgotten at one point, like we didn't know what to do with her just yet.
The most character development came from Andy, as I think about it from Anita came pretty quickly and maybe that is why I lean towards Andy more than her. Through all of this Andy stuggled with the most and I think that is why I was more interested in his parts.
The action is driven by character decisions, a little dramatic at the end, but with all that was going on I think it was not that dramatic, it could be worse. (view spoiler).
Like I said I am not a fan of open ending. I apreciate this open ending and not. My brain keeps saying: give me something! This is how I work, I can't stop wanting an epilogue.
I like the writing style, but I didn't feel like the voices were really different given the 3rd person narative.
In conclusion, this is a good story, it gives you something to think about, but I think not having a connection with all the characters, did not make the story as compeling at it could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We All Looked Up.

Quotes Denisa Liked

Tommy Wallach
“Do you think it is better to fail at something worthwhile, or succeed at something meaningless”
Tommy Wallach, We All Looked Up

December 15, 2016 – Shelved
December 15, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 18, 2016 – Started Reading
December 25, 2016 –
page 163
44.05% "Quite the interesting read. \n\n"
December 27, 2016 – Finished Reading