Jason's Reviews > Flag of Ecstasy: Selected Poems

Flag of Ecstasy by Charles Henri Ford

Jul 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: poetry, surreal, visionary, library-university
Recommended to Jason by: RAWIllumination.net
Read from August 02 to October 05, 2011

I checked Flag of Ectasy out from the University library because of a passing reference on the RAWIllumination blog on a post (citing yet another blog post) involving "those" books,
the ones that have melded into your DNA somehow, they've had an almost demonic power over you at times; it seems that, though some of them may be less than 250 pages, their contents are, for you, inexhaustible.

According to the keeper of RAWIllumination, one of those books for him is
Flag of Ecstasy by Charles Henri Ford (a collection of the best material from about a couple of decades from an American surrealist poet I discovered years ago while reading an anthology of surrealist poetry.)

I admit up front that I am not that familiar with poetry, apart from the drivel I wrote whilst in college, but that I am constantly encouraged by good friends to dive deeper into this art form. So for me Flag of Ecstasy was a real challenge. I discovered plowing through this volume that Ford's longer work bored me, while many of his shorter poems were vivid and immediate in their impact. (I copied many of these in the hopes of committing them to memory, as one should with good poetry, or so I have been told.)

While I don't think these poems will haunt me with demonic power, I see where the blogger was coming from. This volume is definitely worth revisiting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flag of Ecstasy.

08/05/2011 page 23