Jodie's Reviews > A Court of Wings and Ruin

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, genre-ya, on-my-bookshelf

Read - May 2017
Re read - June 2018

Picking up this book after a year of waiting, I sort of felt sorry for Sarah J Maas. Because A Court of Mist and Fury was so perfect, I just didn't know if she could ever top it.

I enjoyed learning about some new characters in the beginning. Jurian especially and coming back to Lucian. I liked seeing more of the other courts too. I also enjoyed Nesta and Cassian and also Elaine. All of those faces made up for Rysand being nowhere near as memorable as he was in the second book. But I suppose that was to be expected now he's Feyres mate. The romance there wasn't as exciting and breathtaking as it was in ACOMAF. In fact, the entire first half of the novel was relatively mellow with not many dynamics to sink your teeth into. It was filled with one problem after another, but there was so many little moments that I wasn't sure what was important and what wasn't. The first half seemed to follow a "problem" and then "all stand around and talk about it" formula. I would have liked some more emotion. Something to grab me.

In saying that, the last 1/4 of the novel was excellent. It really came together and had me in tears at the end. So I suppose like the first in the series, it had some highs and lows. I just love Sarah J Maas though, but nothing will ever beat a ACOMAF!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Wings and Ruin.

December 15, 2016 – Shelved