Lara Maynard's Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Hotel

The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill

bookshelves: canada, canlit, 1930s, historical-fiction, 2017-canbookchallenge

I've heard so much buzz about this author, and after reading my first of her books, feel like O'Neill deserves the hype.

This is a beautifully written book, re-readable. There were sentences that I read repeatedly, similes that gave me word-love feelings. The novel is fairly packed with similes, and clearly deliberately - not by some neglect in editing. One of my favourites: "The soft sound of the rain on the rooftop sounded like young girls sneaking off in stockings to elope."

I enjoyed the way O'Neill created the environments in the novel and the characters who populate those places - an orphanage run by nuns, sketchy apartment buildings, a brothel, night clubs run by professional criminals, neighbourhoods and the cities of Montreal (especially) and some New York.

It would be great if Cirque de Soleil designed a show inspired by the circus in the novel - which was inspired by the lives of the main characters, Rose and Pierrot. Oh, the possibilities!

I'll be reading more of this author's work, and looking forward to her future publications. Because "A sentence from her was like a pot of jam during wartime" is true of both the novel's character Rose and its author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Hearts Hotel.

Quotes Lara Liked

Heather O'Neill
“I'm a terrible person,' Pierrot said to her.
'I'm quite wicked too', Rose said, and she smiled at him.
Pierrot knew that Rose was punished every time she spoke to him. All her words were contraband, treasured items from the black market. A sentence from her was like a pot of jam during wartime.”
Heather O'Neill, The Lonely Hearts Hotel