Ziad's Reviews > The North Water

The North Water by Ian McGuire

I'm gonna go ahead and say The North Water is not a “beach read.” Not light, summer vacation fare. Not something to relax and unwind with in the tub.

Rather, it is easily the most brutal, graphic, viscerally-wrenching novel I've read since Blood Meridian. The story is gripping and the prose is accessible, but the subject matter is quite…challenging.

McGuire is a master storyteller, in that I felt this book—I found myself routinely disturbed and physically nauseated by the near constant barrage of violence and disease, blood and filth, slit throats and crushed skulls.

I couldn't possibly do it justice, so I'll just give you this quick sample from a scene in which the surgeon protagonist Sumner operates on a sick priest whom he suspects has an abscess in his abdomen. It's not actually a spoiler, unless you count spoiling your lunch:

(view spoiler)

So that happened. And so did a lot of other terrible things. You have no idea.

But still, somehow, The North Water was well worth reading. Like some sort of revolting rollercoaster, I found myself horrified while experiencing it, but oddly exhilarated to have made it through to the end.

Your mileage may vary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The North Water.

December 15, 2016 – Started Reading