Lata's Reviews > A Study in Scarlet Women

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas

it was ok
bookshelves: x2017-read, mystery, auth-f, poc-author
Read 2 times. Last read January 7, 2017 to January 8, 2017.

What is it with this and the last Holmes interpretation I read? I never really got the hang of this story. I found the writing confusing and I think much more editing was required. There were spelling errors present still in this published version, I found I never really got a sense of some of the characters and their relationships, and I found some of the jumping between time periods or scenes clunky. Also, the mystery driving the story forwards wasn't particularly interesting, including the characters under investigation.

In this book, that Holmes was female made sense, heightening the mystery and unusual aspect of the character, while making a statement about the difficulties women had in this time period to be taken seriously and , in the case of the gentry, have meaningful work. I liked how John Watson was also a woman and this Watson was intelligent, worldly, amusing, and an older woman, which was really nice to see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Scarlet Women.

December 15, 2016 – Shelved
December 15, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 7, 2017 – Started Reading
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: x2017-read
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: auth-f
January 7, 2017 –
page 99
30.65% "I'm having trouble with this; I can't figure out the relationships between the upper class characters, I don't understand the timeline, and I just don't care about Tread-something policeman."
January 8, 2017 –
page 172
January 8, 2017 –
page 266
January 8, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2018 – Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
February 20, 2018 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: x2018-read (Audiobook Edition)
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: auth-f (Audiobook Edition)
February 20, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery (Audiobook Edition)
February 20, 2018 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)
February 23, 2018 – Shelved as: poc-author

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Hope your next read is more satisfying Lata. *:D

Lata Hoping so, too : )

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro A good concept poorly executed, it would seem.
Great review, Lata!

Lata Thank you, Kevin.

Tina I'm still trying to get past the opening pages. Confusing.

Lata I listened to the audiobook several months later, and enjoyed that so much more than reading the book. Weird.

Tina Lata wrote: "I listened to the audiobook several months later, and enjoyed that so much more than reading the book. Weird."

Thanks for the feedback, Lata. It's quite helpful. I too need to go audio on this one. :-)