C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

Dec 14, 2016

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2017, historical-fiction, magical-fantasy, read-2017, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, reread
Read 2 times. Last read November 25, 2017 to December 2, 2017.

I haven't even the words to summarise how much I ABSOLUTELY FREAKING ADORE THIS BOOK. I can't even stop gushing about it!! Everything was beyond perfect and I. am. in. love. It was sassy and hilarious and fast moving (like how did I read 500+ pages in a day?!) and so adorable I cannot even. I just cannot. Honestly as soon as this is out I'm BUYING IT AND THEN HUGGING IT and then putting it on my Favourite Books Of Ever Shelf.

Unfortunately it doesn't come out till June. Erm, so sorry about me gushing so early!! I'm just going to do a smol review now and come back and re-read and shout at you more on release day!!

But just know: it is 5000% PERFECTION and one of the best books of life. You're going to need it. YOU ARE.

WHY I LOVE IT SO MUCH:
• it's seriously downright hilarious, sassy, and adorable
• Monty has the most engaging and winning voice ever
• he's also a complete ass and an absolute privileged bastard at times, but you know what??? his friends CALL HIM OUT on it, and he (after throwing an offended tantrum) listens and learns
• speaking of which: diversity
• diversity sO MUCH. Including a bisexual narrator, featuring m/m romance, disability, ethnicity diversity, anxiety, and PTSD.
• And it's all SO well represented and SO well covered and NOTHING is just brushed over flippantly.
• my heart BROKE in so many places
• like literally smashed into small tiny pieces and I haven't felt so in love or so protective of characters for a LONG TIME
• (ok that's a total lie...I haven't since last week when I read A Conjuring of Light but hush now)
• it reminded me of The Lies of Locke Lamora which is one of my favourite books!!
• it features a tour of the Continent, with stop overs in places like Paris, Spain, and Greece!
• it's historical fiction and yet still had the most engaging tone and didn't feel dry or anything (which I often find HF to be)
• it has a smidge of magic
• there's a violin
• there are PIRATES
• Felicity (whom seems to be canon asexual) is a bookworm, absolutely intelligent, will stab you with a spork if you cross her, and is 500% done with your shennanigans before you start
• The trio of Monty, Percy, and Felicity is MY OFFICIAL FAVOURITE.
• The unrequited romance of Monty/Percy is SO CUTE but yet SO ANGSTY I wanted to slap their heads together but I also ship them so bad it's ridiculous.
• I love this book so so much.
• IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRUSHING ME WITH FEELS AND ADORATION!!!!
• BEST NOVEL OF LIFE.

REREAD #2: Nov, 2017
This book is abso-freaking-loutely one of the best I have ever read in my life. And YES I've read it twice in one year and I think this time it made me laugh out loud so many times I practically fell on my face. And it also basically made me cry. How can a book be this good?! HOW??!?

Never going to get over how honouring and respectful it is towards diversities. I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING. This is the book I needed when I was a smol teen. It is hilarious and queer and neurodiverse and full of absolutely astronomically funny moments. And I think I'm just going to keep reading it forever. <3

Percy and Monty are THE ABSOLUTE CUTEST SHIP OF ANGST AND LOVE. I adore them so much.

Also the audiobook? A+ THE NARRATOR IS AMAZING.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Mackenzi Lee
“It's beginning to feel like he's shuffling his way through the seven deadly sins, in ascending order of my favourites.”

Mackenzi Lee
“God bless the book people for their boundless knowledge absorbed from having words instead of friends.”

“Oh no."
Percy looks sideways at me. "Oh no what?"
I swallow. "I'd first like it to be noted that I am most certainly not a smuggler."
"Monty..." he says, my name sopping with dread.
"And," I continue overtop him, "I'd like you to both remember just how much you adore me and how dull and gloomy your lives would be without me in them."
"What did you do?”

Mackenzi Lee
“We are not broken things, neither of us. We are cracked pottery mended with laquer and flakes of gold, whole as we are, complete unto each other. Complete and worthy and so very loved.”

December 14, 2016 – Shelved
December 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 28, 2017 – Started Reading
March 1, 2017 –
70.0% "I love this book so much I think I might quietly lose my mind."
March 2, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 2, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 25, 2017 – Started Reading
November 25, 2017 –
page 20
3.9% "I'M READING THIS AGAIN BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST BOOK OF LIFE AND I NEED TO LAUGH AND CRY SIMULTANEOUSLY APPARENTLY."
November 25, 2017 –
page 130
25.34% "CHARACTER SUMMARIES:

Felicity: "Books are better than people."
Percy: "An actual literal saint for putting up with everyone."
Monty: "Move, I'm gay.""
November 27, 2017 –
page 200
38.99% ""So I'm on my tour...Sorry, it's so queer. On the way down from Paris, we were robbed."

ACTUAL LINE OUT OF ACTUAL BOOK.

I HOPE THE AUTHOR WAS LAUGHING IN DEVIOUS DELIGHT AS THEY WROTE THAT LINE."
November 27, 2017 –
page 281
54.78% "I understand less than half the words in that sentence, but God bless the book people for their boundless knowledge absorbed from having words instead of friends.

I FEEL CALLED OUT.

Also...the book people. Omg I love Monty."
December 1, 2017 –
page 456
88.89% "That moment when a pirate is a better father to Monty than his dad ever was TEACHING OUR SMOL SON HOW TO STAND UP FOR HIMSELF AND NOT GET HIT GOD I'M CRYING JUST A LITTLE."
December 2, 2017 – Shelved as: reread
December 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Prabh⚔ (new) - added it

Prabh⚔ I AM LITERALLY SO JEALOUS CAIT WHY DO YOU TORMENT US SO *calls the ARC police*

C.G. Drews I'M SORRY.

message 3: by Prabh⚔ (new) - added it

Prabh⚔ okayyy, I will leave you this time. This is officially your last warning. XD

message 4: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Hunnestad Excuse me while I go cry in a corner out of jealousy! But I'm seriously so happy that you like it! It makes me more excited to get my hands on it!

message 5: by Caro (new) - added it

Caro AAAAH I'm soooo excited for this one! Cannot wait to get my hands on it ♥

PaperTigerMaddy Not until JUNE??? noooooo I shall wait in torment

Bee {Quite the Novel Idea} AAAAAHHHH YES. BEST BOOK. I'm so glad you loved this Cait. Now we can weep and flail with joy over how great it is. Because Oh.My.Hod.

Bee {Quite the Novel Idea} By which I mean Oh. My. God. Dang fingers not working with me. But yes. Much love. All the love. Fave of the year so far. I have already reread it. Because precious.

Miriam Joy YES I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH IT MADE ME SO HAPPY

message 10: by Dara (new) - added it

Dara Yes good! I'm so excited for this book and your review is making it harder to wait!

Dashiell Graci I am so jealous that you got to read this (and I'm so incredibly happy it's living up to the hype). Also, the Locke Lamora comparison makes me want to read this even more cause I just started reading The Lies of Locke Lamora and I already love it.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews THIS BOOK IS LITERALLY THE BEST, EVERYONE. I'M SO RIDICULOUSLY IN LOVE WITH IT.

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lou CAIT WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO MR I NEED IT NOWWWWWWWWWWWW

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Amy: I'M SORRY BUT ALSO I'M NOT THIS BOOK IS MY LIFE.

message 15: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna ahhh i'm so excited for this one!!!!

Miriam Joy Honestly the most negative thing I can say about this book is that it doesn't come out until June, I'm with all of you who need it to be out now. There are several people I need to buy it for and I can't and it sucks.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: I agree. That is the truest negative. I want to buy it and take 89 photos of it and I CAN'T and that's just rude.

Miriam Joy For some reason when I read it I thought it came out in April? And I was like, okay, that's a couple of months but it's fine. Then I realised it was June and I was like ?!?!?!

message 19: by Jaimi Rachelle (new)

Jaimi Rachelle Dang, June??? This book sounds freakin amazing!!

Christen (GoldiloxReads and Whimsify) You said this has a smidge of magic. Enough to maybe nudge it a little into the fantasy category or not really?

message 21: by John (new)

John Pellow Very amazing.

message 22: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Ok, ok, you convinced me, Cait :)

Ashleigh Love this book! You are so right it's amazing. I've not read anything I've enjoyed so much in ages

Flavia I think this is my fave read of 2017! And you can already get the hardcover now since it’s been out since June. Unless you’re waiting for the paperback???

Flavia Oh what the? Goodreads is telling me that you wrote this review 3 days ago...but I see comments from 8 months ago...? 😓

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Flavia: Haha yes I read this first back in March! I'm rereading it now though and doing status updates, so maybe that's the confusion?

Stacey (prettybooks) I listened to the audiobook too! It’s fantastic, one of my favourites.

message 28: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Stacey: SUCH audiobook perfection. 😍😍😍

message 29: by Debra (new)

Debra Fantastic Review!

message 30: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Debra: Thanks!! :D

Stella (Paper Wings) I voted for this one in the GR choice awards (they should call it Chose A Favorite Child and Cry but oh well) and it made it to the finals!!😄

message 32: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Stella: I voted for it too! OF COURSE. ❤️❤️

message 33: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Gagani GREECE? I’M FROM GREECE, OMG!!!!!

message 34: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin *MinMex_Reads* This review is as perfect as the book. What an excellent summary of the great points! Amazing how she tackles so many topics and Monty’s narrator voice is pure perfection.