Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜'s Reviews > The Princess and the Goblin

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

This book served as both inspirations for both C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien, the latter whose epic trilogy I am currently rollicking through and wanted to take a short break from it to read a quick, enjoyable fantasy book before continuing on the merry journey after a brief visit with Tom Bombadil.

The funny thing is though, this book also took me on a fantastic adventure. I was expecting this to be short, simple kiddie story but it is not like that at all. Personally if I was a kid reading this to myself I'd be very confused, but having this read to you by an adult would make the experience very enjoyable. I rented an audiobook for this from the library beforehand and loved it.

I see similarities between this book and the Hobbit, such as the scenes involving musical numbers and epic poetry, and a scene involving the deep underground where they encounter bizarre creatures. Another thing about that, while I love the Hobbit and consider it very near and dear to my heart, I liked this book a bit better! There's something so charming and succinct about "The Princess and the Goblin" I just can't help but grin every time I think of this wonderful story.

Is this epic fantasy? Eh, kinda. It's not up there on that genre like the 'Faithful and the Fallen' series or 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy, but it's a fun read nonetheless. Highly recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess and the Goblin.

Started Reading