m a r y l i z's Reviews > The Reluctant Godfather

The Reluctant Godfather by Allison Tebo

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read March 31, 2017.

Oh my crumpets...this story was fantastic. <3

Just from reading all my buddies' reviews on Goodreads, I knew I was going to enjoy this. Sarcasm? Cake? Grumpy godfathers? COUNT ME IN.

Fortunately, it was just as good--if not better--than I thought it would be. The characters were absolutely phenomenal, the dialogue hilarious, and the writing top-notch. I laughed out loud...more than my family would have liked. *cough* And I melted into a puddle of happiness during the ending scenes. <3333

I loved how Allison retold the story of Cinderella in a way I've NEVER heard it told. (view spoiler) Yet I enjoyed the fact that it still rang true to the original story, feeling new and familiar at the same time.

Loved this story so much! I honestly just want a collection of Burndee short stories now. *stares pointedly at Alli* XD

5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Godfather.

Quotes m a r y l i z Liked

Allison Tebo
“What other lost soul has the misfortune to have you as their fairy godfather?”
Allison Tebo, The Reluctant Godfather

Allison Tebo
“You humans certainly have your hearts set on being happy, don’t you?”
Allison Tebo, The Reluctant Godfather

Allison Tebo
“My first choice would be to give you more god children, but that would be far too cruel a thing to do—to them.”
Allison Tebo, The Reluctant Godfather: A retelling of Cinderella

Allison Tebo
“It almost made him feel sorry for Colin and that was just as unthinkable an estate as marriage.”
Allison Tebo, The Reluctant Godfather: A retelling of Cinderella

December 14, 2016 – Shelved
December 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2017 – Started Reading
March 31, 2017 –
69.0% "Sarcasm + cake = just my style"
March 31, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 20, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
October 28, 2017 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
October 28, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
October 28, 2017 –
page 26
23.42% "I have 1,387 things to do today BUT I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF I HAD TO REREAD THIS BEAUTY. <3 Just got a paperback version and I'm falling in love all over again." (Paperback Edition)
October 28, 2017 –
page 71
63.96% "*really shouldn't be reading this fast but can't help it*" (Paperback Edition)
October 28, 2017 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Katie  Hanna I agree 100% with all of this.

m a r y l i z Jessica wrote: "I agree 100% with all of this."

*high five* :)

m a r y l i z Allison wrote: "Mary, your gorgeous and lovely review absolutely made my day - thank you so much - I am so thrilled that you enjoyed this novella. Thank you so much for your review!"

Awww, no problem! I'm so glad it made you happy. ^_^ This story was truly amazing, dear. I LOVED IT!!! <3

message 4: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison Tebo Awww - thank you, Mary!! <3 Thank you, thank you!

Katie  Hanna Allison wrote: "Awww - thank you, Mary!! <3 Thank you, thank you!

As for sequels - well, it was a very, very, VERY, VERY, VERY tentative thought - more like a smokey whisper of a thought. :)"

*whispers*

I told her to read it.

:-P

m a r y l i z Allison wrote: "Awww - thank you, Mary!! <3 Thank you, thank you!

*hugs you and your wonderful novella* <3

I guess every author has a part of them that would love to continue their characters' story...but I think it ended perfectly and makes a great standalone. I just love Burndee so much that I want more, haha!

m a r y l i z Jessica wrote: "Allison wrote: "Awww - thank you, Mary!! <3 Thank you, thank you!

*wh..."

*bestows upon you a badge of honor* Thank you for bringing more happiness into my life by introducing me to this grand story, Jessica. ;)

message 8: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison Tebo JESSICA - THANK YOU! 'beams'

AWWW - MARY! 'hugs the stupendous Mary'

You are absolutely correct, and that is a great observation; it does feel fairly complete now - and if I DID continue, Burndee and Ella would be side characters...satellites around other fairy tale characters...but yes - they do seem kind of 'complete'. :)

AWWW - 'waves hands happily' That makes me so happy! Eep!!

Katie  Hanna Mary wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Allison wrote: "Awww - thank you, Mary!! <3 Thank you, thank you!

*bows grandly* Not at all, not at all!

Kidding. Actually, all the credit goes to Allison 'cause she wrote it <3

message 10: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison Tebo You girls are just the best!! <3 <3 <3 <3

m a r y l i z Allison wrote: "JESSICA - THANK YOU! 'beams'

<333

It really is perfect the way it is! I just loved the way it ended, too. <3

m a r y l i z Jessica wrote: "Mary wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Allison wrote: "Awww - thank you, Mary!! <3 Thank you, thank you!

Yes indeed. *showers Alli with accolades*

m a r y l i z Allison wrote: "You girls are just the best!! <3 <3 <3 <3"

So are you, O Mighty Authoress. <3

Katie  Hanna Allison wrote: "JESSICA - THANK YOU! 'beams'

No problem!! It was such a happy story and I wanted to spread the happiness <3

Christine Smith I HAVE THIS ON MY KINDLE. I MUST READ IT.

m a r y l i z Christine wrote: "I HAVE THIS ON MY KINDLE. I MUST READ IT."

YES YOU MUST. I hope you don't mind that I recommended it to you? I only recommend books I'm almost positive you guys will like...and this one seems right up your alley. ;)

message 17: by Hann (new) - added it

Hann Remraf "Oh my crumpets" XD

m a r y l i z Hann wrote: ""Oh my crumpets" XD"

Hey, it makes sense when you read the book. XD

message 19: by Hann (new) - added it

Hann Remraf @Mary: Well, I've got it on my Kindle, so perhaps I'll read it soon XP

Christine Smith Oh, I LOVE when people recommend books to me! My favorite books ever were recommended to me by friends. I'm always, always on the search for more good books to read! (Because, ya know, having a manageable TBR pile would be ridiculous. Psh.)

m a r y l i z Hann wrote: "@Mary: Well, I've got it on my Kindle, so perhaps I'll read it soon XP"

YESSS READ IT. It's such a fun story. <3

m a r y l i z Christine wrote: "Oh, I LOVE when people recommend books to me! My favorite books ever were recommended to me by friends. I'm always, always on the search for more good books to read! (Because, ya know, having a man..."

Oh, good! I'm glad you don't mind. :D I love when close friends of mine recommend books, too. (Um, obviously. What a ridiculous idea, having a manageable TBR. XD)

message 23: by Meredith (new)

Meredith This looks good! Thanks for the recommendation!

m a r y l i z Meredith wrote: "This looks good! Thanks for the recommendation!"

I love this book so much. <3 It's my pleasure recommending it!