Ron's Reviews > Not Safe After Dark: And Other Stories

Not Safe After Dark by Peter Robinson

liked it

There is more than one version of this collection and I read the original edition that my library had. There are 13 stories first published between 1989 and 1998, many in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. These are crime stories, murder mysteries, and for the most part I didn't enjoy them. The ick factor is a little too high for me in a couple of these stories. There were a couple I thought pretty good but my overall impression was that these are not stories I want to read. I very rarely read stories of this type so I have no way of judging whether these are better or worse than the usual.

The last story, "In Flanders Field" was my favorite of the collection I'd say, and it was newly written for this book. I also really liked the Thomas Hardy inspired "Two Ladies of Rose Cottage." For my tastes the subject matter and story quality improved greatly as we moved from early stories to later ones. The sex crimes at the start of the collection put me off.

2 1/2 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Safe After Dark.

December 7, 2016 – Started Reading