Kerry CS Literary Jewelry's Reviews > The Rain in Portugal: New Poems

The Rain in Portugal by Billy Collins

F 50x66
Dec 14, 2016

The holiday season is a crazy time with gifts to buy and wrap, holiday meals to prepare, and Christmas parties to attend so it can be a little hard to find a lot of time to read. When this happens, I like to pull out a book of poems. Poetry is perfect for hectic times because it can be consumed in small bites and because it reminds us to slow down and experience the moment rather than rushing through it. This year my poetry book was Billy Collin's latest collection, The Rain in Portugal. I am never disappointed when I pick up a Billy Collin's book but I particularly enjoyed this one because I had the opportunity to hear the poet read a few of the poems at a poetry reading a while back. (As a side note, I just want to mention that Billy Collins is a wonderful reader and speaker, as well as a wonderful poet, and if you have the opportunity to see him read in person, I highly recommend you go!)

Ask anyone who knows me and they will you tell that I have an obsession with T. S. Eliot's The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock so it comes as no surprise that my favorite poem in the collection was "Note to J. Alfred Prufrock." And "Note to Prufrock" wasn't the only allusion to great poems and poets in this collection. One of my favorites things about Collins as a poet is that his poetry reads as a love letter to poetry, which makes it a poetry lover's dream come true.

The Rain in Portugal also contains a playful look at rhymes, a wistful meeting between the poet and the sister he never had, and a interesting take on the cosmology of the universe involving Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones. All in all, The Rain in Portugal will make a wonderful addition to my poetry book collection and would make a lovely holiday gift for a poetry lover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rain in Portugal.

Finished Reading