Angie's Reviews > The Winner's Kiss

The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

Mar 03, 2017

bookshelves: audio, fantasy, young-adult

Synopsis: "Some kisses come at a price.

War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it with untrustworthy new allies and the empire as his enemy. Though he has convinced himself that he no longer loves Kestrel, Arin hasn’t forgotten her, or how she became exactly the kind of person he has always despised. She cared more for the empire than she did for the lives of innocent people—and certainly more than she did for him.

At least, that’s what he thinks.

In the frozen north, Kestrel is a prisoner in a brutal work camp. As she searches desperately for a way to escape, she wishes Arin could know what she sacrificed for him. She wishes she could make the empire pay for what they’ve done to her.

But no one gets what they want just by wishing.

As the war intensifies, both Kestrel and Arin discover that the world is changing. The East is pitted against the West, and they are caught in between. With so much to lose, can anybody really win?"

My Review: What a fantastic conclusion to this series! I didn't want it to end but I also couldn't stop turning the pages. While the previous two books were a little slower to build, this one roared through like a wildfire. There was so much action and strategy throughout the book that it kept you glued to the book. While all of that was going on, you also got to know more of the characters and watch not only them grow within themselves but also watch the relationships between them grow as well. I love the way that Kestrel's mind is always working and always analyzing every situation from different angles. I still adore Arin and his quiet strength, but Rashar has completely stolen my heart. This is a series that I will be adding to my shelves and be revisiting often as I will definitely miss this world and these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winner's Kiss.

December 14, 2016 – Shelved